Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 690-0835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! My brand new Pavilion Gaming 690-0835no was only delivered with a 256GB harddisk (SSD) and I am looking to buy an expansion / additional HDD as I need the space.

What type of SSD HDD can I use? I read something about it using M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD? Can you point me to an example of a compatible SSD HDD that will fit in to the motherboard please?

Thank you,

Anders

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Anders74,

You also need a mounting tray, as the holes in the existing tray only mount a 3.5" drive.

RAM is matching pairs. You can install (2) 8GB, or (2) 16 GB.

If you want to add a match to your existing module, start here with the stock number shown.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Anders74 

First off all, lets get our terms straight to prevent any confusion.  There is no such thing as a "hard drive SSD".  There is the hard drive, which is HDD. There is the Solid State Drive, which is SSD.  These are totally different devices, as the second is basically a b bunch of memory chips with a controller chip -- that looks like a disk drive to the OS.

Second, when a new PC comes with an m.2 SSD, that is mounted directly to the motherboard as there is a slot on the motherboard for it.  Unless the motherboard is a high-end Gaming model, which yours does not appear to be, it will not have additional m.2 SSD slots.

So, your option then is to add a second drive, and it would be a SATA drive, and it can be either an SSD or HDD -- the choice is yours.  SSDs are faster than HDDs, but for the same capacity, they are a LOT more expensive.  So basically, you are choosing between space and speed.

Your PC probably already has as SATA power cable with an additional plug to take a drive, so all you would have to buy is a SATA data cable.  With those, you can add a second drive, either SSD or HDD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok, thx. Do you know if the Sata disk should be a 2.5 or 3.5”? I was looking at this one 

SAMSUNG 860 EVO SATA SSD 1TB 2.5”

HP Recommended

@Anders74 

In a laptop, space is the issue so the SSDs have to be the same size as laptop HDDs -- but in a desktop, space is readily available.

But still, the SATA SSDs are the same physical size as laptop HDDs.

That SSD should work, although some folks have reported issues with the newer Samsung EVO drives -- but those are usually with older PCs that can't handle the newer drives.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Anders74,

Nice gamer unit.

@WAWood 

Explained the terminology to you.  I will get to the nuts and bolts.

You can  install 2 hard drives or SSD devices.  See this manual.   When your ready, watch this video to prevent damage to the DVD drive face plate.  Item # 19 on the file is the SATA power motherboard header. The cable from this header has 2 connectors unused and terminals to the DVD drive.  A standard 3.5" HD will mount to either of the 2 HD trays. If you plan on an SSD you will need to create or get a flat adapter plate. SATA devices get their power from those unused connectors. There are also 2 unused SATA data headers on the motherboard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks guys! Got it - SSD and also need a SATA data cable to connect to either Disk 1 or 2 port on the board. The unused powe connectors are also located.

May I ask if I want to add additional RAM. I see it uses standard DDR4 RAM with 2666 with 1 slot (8GB) used today. Can I buy any DDR4 2666 module and could I add a 16GB or is it restricted to 8GB per slot? I look at the manual as well board viewer doc but don't find the exact specification / rules.

Cheers

HP Recommended

@Anders74,

You also need a mounting tray, as the holes in the existing tray only mount a 3.5" drive.

RAM is matching pairs. You can install (2) 8GB, or (2) 16 GB.

If you want to add a match to your existing module, start here with the stock number shown.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.