Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I recently bought a very costly HP Envy 34-a150 all-in-one computer with maxxed out memory and SSD.  It was delivered with a wireless keyboard ERK-321A, which, among other things, is too small for people who use multiple keyboards in the course of normal business.  It is about 1: narrower over all and3/4"  narrower in the main key layout than a standard keyboard, which makes it impossible to touch-type with a reasonalbe error rate.  

There's no indication whether this system uses bluetooth or whether it uses some other signaling scheme for the keyboard/mouse interface.  Is there any way for me to find what kind of interface it uses, so I can look for a normal-size keyboard that operates without wasting one of the USB slots?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

For manuals, please use the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-34-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/9259650/model/10699797/m...

Back to the keyboard, as mentioned above, your machine has builtin BT therefore no need a dongle.

Regards. 

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Both keyboard and mouse need

USB receiver:
  • Wireless technology: Two-way 2.4GHz Radio Frequency (78 channel)
  • Effective distance: 10 meters (32 feet)
  • Interface: USB 1.1
  • Length: 19.8 mm (0.8 in)
  • Width: 14.4 mm (0.6 in)
  • Height: 6.2 mm (0.2 in)

Source:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05084511

The receiver could be inside the computer.

Updated:  I don't think you can simply use other keyboard and mouse without re-program the code. Each set must use code otherwise what would be happening if 10 persons use 10 machines in one room.

The machine has built-in Bluetooth, you can buy a BT keyboard to use, and the mouse still can use the built-in receiver.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have been unable to find a standard-size keyboard that uses Bluetooth.  I have to believe that there are such things, but I am concerned that these common "wireless" keyboards and mice, using a USB dongle, whether internal or external, are not as secure as a bluetooth interface.  The all-in-one that I bought doesn't have any obvious way to gain access to its internals, nor does it include any sort of documentation that indicates how one might effect a change in this feature.  

I'm told that even some bluetooth keyboards require a usb dongle, and I am loath to waste one of the external usb slots for this function.  Is there a downloadable document that would shed some light on this?

regards,

Uolricus

HP Recommended

Hi,

For manuals, please use the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-34-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/9259650/model/10699797/m...

Back to the keyboard, as mentioned above, your machine has builtin BT therefore no need a dongle.

Regards. 

BH

HP Recommended

The main problem is that there is little information contained in the documents to which you refer.  Now, that 's not your fault.  However, you refer to information about a slightly different model of All-in-One, derived, I suppose, from documentation about that model.  There may be a similar document about the 34-a150, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

HP Recommended

My ERK-321A wireless keyboard appears to be giving unwated feedback. In mulitple apps, Chrome, IE and Outlook, I have expierienced the print dialog box appearing intermittently. The way I can replicate the pop up is by pressing ctrl + p in any of those programs. That is what I see.

The issue does not persist when I power off the keyboard, which by the way I accomplish by taking the batteries out, since there is no on / off switch on the keyboard itself. I don't see the wireless keyboar and mouse listed under bluetooth in the windows 10 settings. There is no USB dongle plugged nor can I find one (this computer is used at my work and I'm assisting the person with this issue).

I was going to try and unpair the keyboard and pair with another computer, see if the issue duplicates there.

I was looking at this article, which shows images and has instructions documenting USB dongles.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00006821

Sorry, I have no answer for you, I'm just frustrated I can't simply unpair and re-pair with another computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.