Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TG01-0023ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

i have an HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023ng.

On the product site i can see that is should have these Expansion Slots:
1 PCIe x4; 1 PCIe x16; 2 PCIe x1; 2 M.2

When i look inside, i  can see both m2 slots, i can see the x1 slot (left of one m2 slot) and the nvidia grapfic 1660ti in the x16 slot .    But where is the x4 slot? I cant find it. 

Another question: On this mainboard site of HP, https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06418627, there is written "One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4)" 

As i have read in other threads, HP limits the slot to x2 of the SSD.  So i wonder if it is wrong what HP says or how it would be possible to use the m2 slot for x4 and not as x2.  Would that be poissible with an BIOS update by HP?  

Thanks,

Best regards,

Daniel

Daniel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Typically HP will include a picture of the motherboard on the page also.  I found a picture here:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06504786

In the internal view #2 or #3, you can see the motherboard and there is no PCIe x4 slot.

From the Tab "Expansion slots" it does not say there is a 1 PCIe x4.  It states

• One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4)

If there was a 1 PCIe x4 slot, it would look similar to the 1 PCIe x1 except somewhat longer but not as long as a PCIe x16 slot.  The only place it mentions a PCIe x4 is with the M.2 socket for the SSD.  This would mean the SSD M.2 socket can run the SSD at PCIe x4 speeds.  Which would mean it can use a M.2 NVMe SSD.  I did see a mention of older HP motherboards do not support this speed and maybe that is what you are speaking about.  Or in another thread where it would only support that speed if the SSD was a HP.  Crucial shows M.2 drives for your PC, but also show the speed to be 2,000 MB/S READ, 1,700 MB/S WRITE

I doubt a BIOS update will be issued to solve this.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Typically HP will include a picture of the motherboard on the page also.  I found a picture here:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06504786

In the internal view #2 or #3, you can see the motherboard and there is no PCIe x4 slot.

From the Tab "Expansion slots" it does not say there is a 1 PCIe x4.  It states

• One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4)

If there was a 1 PCIe x4 slot, it would look similar to the 1 PCIe x1 except somewhat longer but not as long as a PCIe x16 slot.  The only place it mentions a PCIe x4 is with the M.2 socket for the SSD.  This would mean the SSD M.2 socket can run the SSD at PCIe x4 speeds.  Which would mean it can use a M.2 NVMe SSD.  I did see a mention of older HP motherboards do not support this speed and maybe that is what you are speaking about.  Or in another thread where it would only support that speed if the SSD was a HP.  Crucial shows M.2 drives for your PC, but also show the speed to be 2,000 MB/S READ, 1,700 MB/S WRITE

I doubt a BIOS update will be issued to solve this.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan,

An excellent explanation followed by supportive documents. Now I can bookmark it. 😀😁😂

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks @wb2001  and @Daniel2908 

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.