Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 810-430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone help me identify the power supply that is inside of my HP Envy Phoenix 810-430qe?

I am contemplating an upgrade from the original Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 graphics card and need to check if everything will be compatible with an upgrade or not.  Thank you in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@SoloMan89 , welcome back to the forum.

There are three things to consider when buying a video card: 1) The wattage required to run it (I always recommend at least 100W to 150W more that the card requires.); 2) Does it require a 6-pin or 8-pin supplemental power connector and does the current power supply unit (PSU) have them? and 3) Will it fit into the space where it will be installed, allowing for good airflow (Measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.)?  With these things in mind, I believe there should be no problem upgrading to any card that meets them.

I like MSI video cards.  They are very high quality.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi Geekster.

The current video card in this HP system is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 745.  From my research, this card gets ALL of the necessary power through the PCI Express slot.

Something like the Nvidia GeForce 1060 requires an additional 6-pin connector, which I am not sure if my power supply has or not.

As far as I can tell from the HP information online, this system *should* have come with a 500 watt power supply.  The GTX 745 requires 300 watts minimum and the 1060 requires 400 watts minimum.

I was hoping to get a "build" sheet from HP based upon my serial number, perhaps.  My order information is no longer stored on CostCo's website back from when I ordered this system in 2015.

HP Recommended

@SoloMan89, the PSU in your computer is 500W.  Here is the Product Specifications page.  I don't know if HP was using PSU's with the 6-pin or 8-pin power connectors in 2015.  If it does have one or both, they should be easy to see if you open the side panel.  They are normally just hanging in an opening between the other cables.

I have asked the Moderators to remove your Serial # from your post.  It is not a good idea to give person information on any Forums.

HP Recommended

Could have just asked me to remove the serial number.  What could be done maliciously with it?

The tower is in my desk and not easily accessible without disconnecting all of the harnesses and cables, which is why I asked ahead of time.  Not the easiest to access without disconnecting quite literally everything, which I only do every once in awhile when cleaning and when necessary.  Sorry for my laziness but it is no the most enjoyable thing to deal with, given the tight space in my desk's cubby.....surrounded on 3 sides if that makes any sense.

HP Recommended

By the way, in regards to the specs of the motherboard, I noticed that it says version 2.0 is x1 and version 3.0 is x16.  I know that my board is version 2.0.  Are they talking about board version, or PCI Express version?

I also know that the GTX 745 is PCI Express x16.  So I am going to *assume* that they mean the full-length PCI Express slot will accommodate both PXI Express version 2.0 and 3.0, which is irrelevant of my motherboard's version.

HP Recommended

PS, from my search here, from an individual who received their 810-430qe about 4 months before I did, it appears as if that particular 500 watt power supply does come with a 6 and 8 pin power connector.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Envy-Phoenix-810-430qe-thoughts-and-comp...

And from an Reddit post, the 500 watt power supply *may* be a Lite-On PS-8501-2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hpenvyphoenix/comments/3duzr3/phoenix_850_whats_up_with_that_500watt_power/

Unfortunately, any of those posts/threads re too old to reply to and ask for further clarification.

HP Recommended

@SoloMan89, hey, I totally understand not wanting to disconnect all of the peripherals from you case.

Q:  By the way, in regards to the specs of the motherboard, I noticed that it says version 2.0 is x1 and version 3.0 is x16.  I know that my board is version 2.0.  Are they talking about board version, or PCI Express version?  The Gen. 3.0 is the PCI Express x16 slot.  This is the longer Black slot.  The PCI Express x1 (Gen. 2) is the shorter Black slot.  It can be used for wifi adapters, sound cards, etc.  The Motherboard is a MS-7826 Ver. 2.0.

I also know that the GTX 745 is PCI Express x16.  This is correct.  It is PCI Express x16 (Gen. 3).  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  The Gen 2 video cards are backward compatible, you simply don't get the full benefit of the Gen. 3 slot.  Here is an article that explains the difference: https://www.faceofit.com/pcie-gen-3-vs-pcie-gen-2/

So I am going to *assume* that they mean the full-length PCI Express slot will accommodate both PXI Express version 2.0 and 3.0, which is irrelevant of my motherboard's version.  This is correct.  As I stated above, the Gen 2 slot will allow the use of a Gen 3 video card with the loss of some of the benefits of the Gen 3.

You could try sending Fattsgonewild a Private Message to see if he will answer some of your questions about your computer.  I have spoken to him and he has always been very accommodating.

HP Recommended

Hi again.

Now I am still a bit confused.  My motherboard is version 2.0, but the full length slot can accommodate PCI Express 3.0 cards and give me 100% of the benefits of PCI Express 3.0?

Are you or are you not saying that my PCI Express slot can only downgrade to PCI Express 2.0?

From that motherboard specifications page with the image, it appears as if it only has 2 PCI Express slots.  1 full length and 1 half-length.  But the specifications appear to show that it should have 2 full length and 1 half-length?  Once again, I am confused.

Sorry for the confusion!

HP Recommended

@SoloMan89, it is alright to be confused when it comes to computers.  I work with them every day and still learn something new.

Q:  Now I am still a bit confused. My motherboard is version 2.0, but the full length slot can accommodate PCI Express 3.0 cards and give me 100% of the benefits of PCI Express 3.0?  The version of your motherboard has nothing to do with the generation of the PCI Express slots.  They are a component added to the board.

Are you or are you not saying that my PCI Express slot can only downgrade to PCI Express 2.0?  This is mostly correct.  Some of the Gen. 3 slots will allow you to use Gen. 1 cards, as well.  However, there is no benefit.  The performance will be reduced when using Gen. 2 cards in a Gen. 3 slot.

From that motherboard specifications page with the image, it appears as if it only has 2 PCI Express slots. 1 full length and 1 half-length.  Here is what it says in the Expansion Slots section of the Product Specifications page:

Expansion Slots
  • PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0): 1
  • PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0): 1
  • PCI Express half-length minicard: 1

The PCI Express x1 (Gen. 2) slot is the short one directly below the full length slot.  The PCI Express half-length minicard fits into a socket similar to that of a SSD.  It isn't easy to see on the motherboard diagram.

But the specifications appear to show that it should have 2 full length and 1 half-length? Once again, I am confused.  See my explanation above.  Here is a picture of the half-length minicard:

Capture.PNG

I hope this makes it a bit less confusing for you.  If not, do hesitate to ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.