Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a OMEN OBELISK 2080 Ti i7 9th gen 32GB DDR4 with a 500W PSU. (This is 5 days after I bought it) I was using my pc like normally and after a few minutes the pc and everything crashed and the pc wont boot again. I think this is a PSU problem because its a 500W PSU with a 2080Ti and i7 9th gen. I didnt really think about it when I bought it but its a total scam after all. There was another thread about this same problem but even with a worse GPU (2080) and CPU (i7 8th). But the employee just said it was at full load 80% of the PSU capacity. And couple that with a better GPU and CPU and it just hits the full capacity. WHY does HP sell products like these SO close to the threshold of a 2900 Euro PC??? Its being shipped to HP right now but it will just return with the 500W PSU.

Is it safe/possible to change the PSU of a pre-built pc to something better like an 750W?

I am not the best with hardware but do understand a bit.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Brunp,

While this should not have happened, HP does not configure a system to fail. That would be problematic.

When you get the new unit, you do have the option to replace the PSU with the 750W. Just follow the cables that existing ONLY from the 500W. Make a map or use photo.s if that helps your confidence. Just do not willy-nilly unplug cables. Follow the leads.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I cant seem to find the dimensions of the HP Omen Obelisk power supply online anywhere. So how do i know what will even fit in the PC?

EDIT: and the OMEN obelisk has a custom plate behind the powersupply (where the plug plugs in) I also cant find any powersupply with the same position of the inlet.

HP Recommended

@Brunp 

What ever model number you have, the ones with the 2080ti absolutely come with a 750w PSU.

It was a mistake made from the factory overseas that actually builds them.

Here is an example of one sold in your country with that card and the correct PSU...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-875-1000-obelisk-desktop-pc-series/25644598/model/29...

You need to include this info when speaking to the Rep you dealt with, as they wont be aware of the problem half the time either and wont document it.  I would contact Support again to make them aware of the PSU and insist they correct this before they send it back. If its not corrected by HP and you decide to add one yourself, It wont be covered under warranty. Just so you know.

The Obelisks claim to fame is that its made to be upgraded, so the parts are standard. The PSU is a full size ATX PSU that you can buy from any parts store.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.