Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

In a very recent post I asked if I should update the BIOS in my Z420 before upgrading the CPU from the Xeon E5- 1620 to the Xeon E5-1660 v2. processor. I am about to do that BIOS Flash but something unpleasant has just occured to me: I'm glad that I have not yet purchased a 1660 v.2 as I have only just noticed in the Quickspec (V 41) that the memory speed for all the version 2  Xeon E5 processors is listed as 1866 MHz, not 1600 MHz as it is for the earlier processors.

Of course I have 1600  MHz  memory currently installed,  so my question is:  will I have to replace it with 1866 MHz memory, or will the Xeon E5 1660 v2 in the current Version 2 Motherboard (bootblock date 03/06/2013) run with 1600 MHz memory , or only with 1833 MHz memory or even with a mix of 1600 MHz and 1833 MHz memory modules?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Appolonius , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Support Specifications page from Intel.  Here is what it lists for supported memory for the processor:

Memory Types:  DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866

I don't believe that HP would change these specifications.  So, you should be fine using the 1600 memory.

Note:  I didn't check the specifications for the motherboard on HP's website to make certain that the 1660 V2 is compatible.  I believe you did this.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Appolonius , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Support Specifications page from Intel.  Here is what it lists for supported memory for the processor:

Memory Types:  DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866

I don't believe that HP would change these specifications.  So, you should be fine using the 1600 memory.

Note:  I didn't check the specifications for the motherboard on HP's website to make certain that the 1660 V2 is compatible.  I believe you did this.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.