Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Grade A Compaq Pro 6300 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently bought this computer and I want to upgrade its cpu (right now it has an i5-3470) with the xeon 1280v2. Now everytime i do this to a computer i always first search if the motherboard supports the cpu, but in this case, i couldnt find anything. I searched everywhere. I followed the way hp instructs you to do so but i just couldnt find anything about this motherboard. Its probably because this tower is not that common i guess. I even searched outside hp and couldnt find anything. And yes, i haved looked through the whole manual. Now the way you people can help me is either by owning the actual system/motherboard (and I suppose you dont need to have tried the exact cpu, but any xeon in general on this motherboard)or by finding some kind of manual or list that i couldnt find. Thank you 🙂

Heres a picture of the tower :

And here is a terrible pic of the motherboard :

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@stelio_em06 , welcome to the Community.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04034231

On Page 2 is a list of the processors that are compatible with the motherboard.  These processors have been fully tested to assure they are compatible with the motherboard.  As you will see, there are no Xeon processors in the list.  Any other processors will most likely not work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@stelio_em06 , welcome to the Community.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04034231

On Page 2 is a list of the processors that are compatible with the motherboard.  These processors have been fully tested to assure they are compatible with the motherboard.  As you will see, there are no Xeon processors in the list.  Any other processors will most likely not work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Well thats quite annoying,but hey,if someone has tried this cpu on this motherboard and it has worked for him feel free to answer

HP Recommended

@stelio_em06, I knew that was not what you wanted to hear, but I am just the messenger! 😉

You probably won't hear from anyone who has tried the processor.  This is not the normal Community where members keep coming back after their problems are solved.  It could happen, however.

HP Recommended

No actually i searched it a bit more and i now understand why this is the case.The motherboard's chipset is q75,and the xeon i mentioned is for motherboards that support q77 chipsets.So yeah it makes sense.

HP Recommended

@stelio_em06, I am glad that you found the answer to your questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.