Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

Please type in: cmd in your windows search bar, right-click on the Command Prompt App, left-click on: "Run as administrator", and click: "Yes", then copy/paste/enter:

wmic memorychip get devicelocator, manufacturer, partnumber, capacity, speed

You should see something like this -using the PC I am using at the moment -except yours of course will only show two RAM sticks (DIMM1 and DIMM3) for the time being:

NonSequitur777_0-1678774198463.png

Please provide this information.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

And also type in: System Information, left-click on the System Information App, and you will see something like this -using the desktop I am using right now:

NonSequitur777_0-1678775046727.png

Please provide the "System Model", "System SKU", "Processor", and the "BaseBoard Product" info.

This information will assist me to provide the best possible RAM suggestions/recommendations for you.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello,

Here it is.  It says HP on the photo of the RAM,  but it's actually Kingston??

How is that? Do they contract with Kingston to make it for HP or something?

Thanks!

artvandolay_0-1678840098187.png

artvandolay_0-1678840440423.png

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

Thank you for the info.

Didn't respond right away as I took my time to look at all the options -as if your desktop was my upgrade project.

Preferably, you should buy identical 2 x 8GB Kingston HP32D4U2S8MR-8 RAM, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. DO NOT go with Kingston HP32D4U2S1ME-8 for example, as it is much slower than the Samsung RAM option I think you should get -at a remarkable affordable pricing as well, by the way.

Summarizing, this is the 2 x 8GB RAM kit I would definitely recommend for your desktop: Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE 2x8GB which has a stellar RAM benchmark rating as seen here: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/1513024/Samsung-M378A1K43EB2-CWE-2x8GB, showing an excellent 95.7% average, and I quote:

"The Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE 2x8GB averaged just 4.2% lower than the peak scores attained by the group leaders. This is an excellent result which ranks the Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE 2x8GB near the top of the comparison list." -emphasis added.

You can get a Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE 2x8GB kit for $38 -you can't really beat that.  Besides, if for whatever reason we determine this RAM is not working out, you can return to Sender to get your money back.  Given my own experience with Samsung RAM on (serious) gaming rigs, you should be A-OK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364157271554?hash=item54c976fe02%3Ag%3AnXAAAOSwhtxj9ibi&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAA....

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

And yes, HP is partnering with various companies such as Nvidia and AMD to outsource graphics cards, and Kingston for RAM, for example.  Btw, I mentioned " HP-branded Kingston" (RAM) in my second post already.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the help! 

I couldn't find that Kingston one either using that number, though it may be under a different part number.  That is very odd that it is not very omnipresent, or readily available, for a common stick of RAM.  I wonder why. 

Does it matter how I place the RAM then since they're both different manufacturers? 

Right now the HP-Kingston is in DIM 1 and 3.   Should I just put the two Samsung I get off eBay in 2 and 4 or change them to one set being in 1 and 2 and the other in 3 and 4? I can't remember why they're staggered like that as it has been a while since I put RAM in my PCs. 

I am not sure what to look for to see if they wouldn't be working well together.  I think there are ways to test them using various sites or apps, but I have never used them.  I think it will be fine and for that price, it's pretty good.

BTW, the Samsung one https://www.ebay.com/itm/364157271554 here is the same one that the user review had on his, too as having come with his machine!  Fingers crossed it goes well!

Thanks for all the help.  Let's see how it goes when I get in a few days.

Best!

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

Outstanding: you raise very good questions, and which are indeed most relevant how your RAM and thus your system is going to perform.

HP-branded Kingston RAM is often in short supply -or no supply at all.  Zip.  In other words: this RAM is not so common.  Yes, this topic comes up once in a while.

What I would like you to do first is to download and install these two trusted freeware utility programs called "Speccy" from here: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard, and "CPU-Z" from here: https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_2.05-en.exe.  When you run these programs, check your RAM channel status: both programs should show "dual" as outlined in the blue and red boxes showing my PC's channel status:

NonSequitur777_3-1678861756457.png

Once you have confirmed the "dual" status, please download and run this freeware benchmark program called "UserBenchMark" from here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/resources/download/UserBenchmarkInstaller.exe.  In order to finetune your PC, you need comparative performance data to know where you are now, and what is to come -starting with establishing a baseline.  For example, the desktop I am working from right now (a heavily modified/upgraded HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF) has this UserBenchMark reference: HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF Performance Results - UserBenchmark. With some pride, this PC ranks first amongst the EliteDesk 800 G5's User scores -but I digress.

Look at your RAM scores, which for my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF looks like this (mind you, 2667 MHz is the fastest RAM speed this desktop will allow):

NonSequitur777_4-1678862700833.png

Plan A. Once your 2 x 8GB Samsung 3200 MHz RAM sticks show up, I would fit the Samsung RAM modules in your open slots first. Upon powering your desktop, your PC may beep once or twice -and be patient, as it may take a few seconds for your PC to "think" this through, but it should accept the new RAM.  If it doesn't, let me know. Assuming your PC will start up, start Speccy and CPU-Z again and check your RAM channel status. If the RAM channel status is still set at "dual", then run UserBenchMark again, and compare results.  Please share, of course.

Plan B. If your PC is not happy, so to speak (i.e. doesn't boot) &/or the channel status shows as "single", power off your PC, disconnect from power, and press the ON button twice to disperse residual motherboard power. (This you do whenever you move internal computer components around.) Then first remove the Samsung RAM sticks, and move the Kingston RAM module farthest removed from your CPU to the first position as shown here:

NonSequitur777_2-1678861041940.png

Then reseat the Samsung RAM modules in the open slots.

Then try again. (Yes, you can probably tell I have "been there done that" before.)

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello,

Okay, I downloaded the first two and ran them, but this is what I have.  Not DUAL. 

I didn't do the other user benchmark site yet since these two don't have dual.  Does it matter? 

What do I do next then?

artvandolay_1-1678924964964.png

artvandolay_0-1678924850626.png

Btw, is this your PC ranked here?  So, the memory in yours is only slightly behind?

artvandolay_2-1678925221265.png

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

Interesting.  I am going to do some simulations on my HP Z240 TW.

In the meanwhile, do you recall installing both programs by "Run as administrator"?

NonSequitur777_0-1678933468271.png

And did you right-click on the startup icons and "Run as administrator"?

Please try this first.

If no changes, power down your PC etc. and move the RAM sticks farthest removed from your CPU and install in the first RAM slot as mentioned in my previous post.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@artvandolay,

Simulations completed.

If you haven't moved your RAM stick yet, don't bother at this point in time.

Whether Speccy or CPU-Z show "dual" RAM mode or not, your RAM almost certainly does run in dual mode with the factory RAM install config your desktop came with. Keep the original RAM install as is/was for the time being.

To answer your previous question if my RAM is only slightly behind, the RAM I installed in my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF (4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 MHz Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE) happens to be the very same RAM you just ordered. This RAM runs as well on this rig as can be expected at 2667 MHz as constrained by my i7-9700KF processor: Intel Core i79700KF Processor 12M Cache up to 4.90 GHz Product Specifications (max RAM speed: "DDR4-2666"), but since this RAM is designed to run at 3200 MHz, my RAM benchmark (88.9%) scores lower when matched with other PCs where this RAM runs at 3200 MHz. The difference between 2667 and 3200 MHz RAM speed on my gaming PC doesn't matter so much, since my graphics card (RTX 3080) has an additional 12GB of fast GDDR6 RAM taking care of much of the graphics processing.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.