Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Will the graphics card in the HP pavilion gaming pc work with a custom pc build. Will it work with a MSI B550 motherboard and nzxt 510 case?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Garlicky , welcome back to the Community.

It would help if I had the Product Number of the HP computer.  HP does have many of their components made to work with other components in a computer.  Therefore, they do modify some of them, such as, a video card.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The card should work with a different computer. I’ve heard that it is rare that graphic cards are locked to certain computers, but I’ve never heard of this. Best wishes!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your post @Samuel_C.

The point that I am attempting to make is not that the video card could be locked, but that it could be modified to run with less power.  HP has used video cards with reduced power requirements to work with the PSU that is installed, such as, a 300W PSU.  The retail card of the same model may require 500W to operate properly.  If I know the Product Number of the computer that came with the card, I can determine if it has been modified by seeing which PSU is installed.

I am not aware of HP placing any limits on their components so they can't be used in other computers.

HP Recommended

Hey! Thanks for your help. The product number is 3LA37AA#ABA. The pc is called the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx. Yes, the psu is 310 watts. I was thinking of using the rx 550 with this pc build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgJqnL and using the bios flash. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, what I am wondering is if the HP version of the rx 550 will work especially since it looks way different from the typical rx 550. Here is what I am thinking of building. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgJqnL 

Will the gpu work inside of it?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Garlicky!  Thank you for the additional information.

Your computer, as you stated, has a 310W PSU.  The specifications from AMD state that the RX 550 requires 400W.  Therefore, I believe that the card should most likely work fine in the build that you are proposing.  The PSU doesn't push any power other than what is required to run the computer properly.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. Is the GPU compatible though? I'm asking this because it is an HP type of rx 550 and I don't know if it will work with atx motherboards.

HP Recommended

@Garlicky 

The video slot on the motherboard is PCI Express x16,  The card should definitely be compatible, as long as, the it has the appropriate slot.  The specifications of the motherboard don't specify if the slot is version 2.0 or 3.0.  It will most likely show this on the motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.