Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought the Geforce gtx 1050 ti lp and found that the wattage on this PC is too low at 240 watts.  Can I upgade the PSU? Will it even work if I do make the upgrade?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello there Mr. Dirth: Welcome to your Forum!

you have to refer to your owner's manual & spec document to do several things; a. find out if your PSU can be swapped out for a  newer\or better model of higher wattage 2. whether it fits within the case 3. note the efficiency level which ranges from Bronze to Platinum 4. as for the video adapter in question; note whether your new 1050 ti is the same size & profile as the original model because the cards range from small low profile models thru standard mid range thru the lord champion dual & quad cards which run via SLI & Crossfire edition ultimatly that will depend on your power supply, your financial reserve & your drool pool!

good luck

hope this catalyses your decision as well as pushes back your PC frontiers

kingtopcat

HP Recommended

@MrDirth

You can't upgrade the PSU as it's propriety.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@MrDirth,

Although @Big_Dave makes a valid point, lets actually consider the BIOS level. The 8300's were issued as WIN 7, are circa 2009 Business Class machine, and were never meant as a gamer.  The BIOS in those machines is called Legacy (BIOS), and the card your bought is a UEFI vBIOS card. As such, it would never work in your system.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

It seems that the GTX 1050 ti lp will work just fine with the 8300 Elite Small Form Factor even on the original BIOS that launches with the machine. I believe the 8300 Ultra Slim is the one that you are referring to that only supports Legacy BIOS.

See here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3524564/compaq-elite-8300-1050.htmlThis user confirms he is using the Elite 8300 SFF with an Asus 4GB GTXi 1050 LP

This Amazon review has a picture of a guy with a 8200 Elite SFF with a LP graphics card installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R2YF2WR7L2BGW9?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl&tag=tomshardware_forum_vgl-20

This guy in his Youtube videos claims to be running an 8300 Elite sff with an MSI GTX 1050 ti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_j38Kt0uJA

I also ordered this same computer on Amazon and it should be here Friday. I'll post back and then, we shall know for sure!

GTA v on HP COMPAQ ELITE 8300 SFF INTEL CORE i5 3470 3.20GHZ 16GBRAM 500GBHDD WIN7PRO64 MSI GTX1050ti LP 4GB GTA V 1080p 60FPS Get it here: https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/grand-theft-auto-v-5-pc-cd-key?mw_aref=varia
HP Recommended
Did you get the 1050 ti running on the hp elite 8300 SFF? Looking to do same myself but seeing that 25w limit from the MB concerns me
HP Recommended
Sorry for my late reply. I was really busy being on holiday and forgot. It works amazingly well! I recommend a GTX 1050 ti (low profile) card though. I couldn’t get the case to close with the 1050 ti mini (single fan version). I just made my own lid that works for now. The card was just plug and play and I can even overclock it to 200MHz on the core and memory. It’s my understanding that the PCI-E port will allow a peripheral to draw up to 75W of power. Though, that’s standard and I haven’t looked up the limitations of the 8300 mobo. The power supply is 240W and the i5 even at full boost uses just over 110W. I’ve been maxing this system out for 4 day’s straight and haven’t had any issues with it. They may have never intended to be gaming computers but tell that to them after you install a 1050 ti lol! Simply amazing little machines!
HP Recommended

That power usage was for i5 3470 8300 SFFs by the way.

HP Recommended
Thanks much. Am going to give it a try and will post back once card is shipped/installed.
HP Recommended
So, the card installed fine with no issues.
The MSI gtx 1050 ti low profile fits just fine into the HP 8300 Elite SFF - I5 3470 16gb ram installed.
Computer started up normally, ran all drivers update, restart and new card was active. No bios updates were even needed from v2.5 and power draw is well under the 240w supply.
Been gaming with it 3 days no problems / no overheating etc.
Thanks @everyone for the information and help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.