Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TG01-0023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will the TG01-0023w desktop's motherboard [Erica] support the newer 65W TDP Ryzen 5000 series [Zen 3] chips?

For instance, the 5600X, 5800 [OEM non-X], 5900 [OEM non-X]? If it doesn't now, will there be a BIOS update to support them in the future, given they fit within the 65W TDP profile and the AM4 socket architecture?

I'm looking at purchasing / upgrading one of these units:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06693646

The motherboard is "Erica" model with AM4 Ryzen support.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06418627

It seems to support 65W TDP Ryzen 3 chips, according to the support document. But, does it, or will it [via BIOS update] support the newer Ryzen 5000 series 65W TDP chips that make use of the same AM4 socket type and fit within the 65W TDP supported by the board?

If so, it would be lovely if the support documents would be updated with any Ryzen 5000 [Zen 3] chip support.

In particular, I'm kind of keen on the [currently OEM-only, though I hope that changes eventually?] 5800 and 5900 chips, with 8 & 12 cores, respectively.

Though the 5600X with SMT (6-core, 12-threads) would at least be a kind of sideways upgrade from the stock [non-SMT] 3500 (6-core, 6-threads).

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ThatNerdyGuy , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Motherboard Specifications for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" there is a list of compatible processors.  These processors have been fully tested to assure they are compatible.  Any other processors will most likely not work.  Normally, HP doesn't update their BIOS/UEFI's to support newer version of a processor.  They release them in later models.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes, I've seen the motherboard specifications (posted a link to them in the original post)...

Was simply wondering whether the list of supported processors would change over time as more "compatible" chips for the chipset / socket were released.

If not, frankly, from a consumer standpoint, that sucks... Like, why wouldn't HP support all possible upgrade options for a board that *could* support additional chips (that utilize the socket and fit within the board's supported TDP)? Other than as some kind of unnecessary "forced obsolescence" nonsense?

That, sadly, doesn't inspire much confidence. 😕

Like, AMD has said that B450 and B550 boards should all be able to support Zen 3 / Ryzen 5000 chips, with a BIOS update, allegedly...

https://www.techspot.com/article/2114-amd-b450-or-b550-motherboard/

And the B550A, which is what the "Erica" board is, is a hybrid between B450 and B550 (essentially a B450 but with some extra features unlocked and possibly limited PCIe 4 support), but in either case *should* theoretically be able to support the Zen 3 / Ryzen 5000 chips. Albeit, probably just the ones that fit within the 65W TDP supported by the board itself. Hence my question...

Seems to me like HP should "do the right thing" and support Zen 3 chips on its boards that *can* or at least *should [in theory/practice] be able to* support them.

I understand that it undoubtedly takes some manpower and skill to update the BIOS, etc. On the other hand, I know HP does *issue* BIOS updates to their boards / desktops, occasionally. So, like would it kill them to make one of those "updates" one that "flips the switch" and enables support for the newer Zen 3 chips on boards with chipsets that support them, for the chips that fit within the TDP constraints of the specific board(s)? [Like enabling support for the 3-4 "Zen 3" chips that are supported within the 65W TDP of "Erica" boards]? In order to keep their customers happy with their products, as opposed to jumping ship to other manufacturers who actually support their products and all the available upgrade options their boards are capable of supporting (if they do the tiny bit of legwork to make it happen via a simple BIOS update)...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.