Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm thinking of upgrading to a video card for rendering videos for our YouTube Channel. We have a refubished Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower with:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

8 GB Memory8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Core 2 Duo microprocessor (E8400 running at 3.0 GHz.

320 W BTX

I understand this is a business/enterprise-grade computer.

I noticed that with the specs, there are several video cards that are available for it. I would prefer at least a 512 MB card, but a 1 GB card would be ideal. I think it's the ATI Radeon 512 (or 1 GB) Video Card. 

The question i have is are these cards even compatible with the  power supply that came with the computer(320 watt). I understand it's a BTX and proprietary, but can it even support these video cards, let alone be compatible with them? 

• ATI Radeon HD 4650 (1GB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card
  • ATI Radeon HD 4550 Dual Head PCIe x16 Graphics Card

If I had to, I could go with the following, but I'd really like the Radeon cards. I'm guessing the 4550 is 512?.  I know these are listed, but from my research you need at least 400 watts for it to even be supported. 

If those don't work, will the following:

• NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 PCIe x1 Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 (256MB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 (256MB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card

Does anyone know the answer and/olr have a solution or am I stuck?

It wouldn't be for playing video games, just doing 3D modeling, and rendering video cards.

I'm assuming there isn't a way to upgrade the PSU? There isn't anything higher?

If they don't work, why are they listed in the specs on Hewlett Packard's site for this model. I love it, but I would kind need to know.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely yours,

Katherine M. Logan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MaghdalenaLogan,

Rendering video's takes an immense power curve.  Your system will never get to that point.

While I am not a professional with the apsects of rendering video, the parameters are in order of importance: (1) CPU chip, (2) RAM,  8GB min, 16+ preferred, and (3) GPU card. See this list for components. This list give 5 levels of component builds.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MaghdalenaLogan,

Rendering video's takes an immense power curve.  Your system will never get to that point.

While I am not a professional with the apsects of rendering video, the parameters are in order of importance: (1) CPU chip, (2) RAM,  8GB min, 16+ preferred, and (3) GPU card. See this list for components. This list give 5 levels of component builds.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Is there any card on the market, even an old one that would work with my power supply? Does anyone know?

Thanks. 

Katherine Logan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.