Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

actually i have the same issue.......this is no hardware nor software issue (read windows).....the problem is related to the latest bios which disable non-HP hardware (see mainly Samsung SSD's, but also other brands.....)..........

In my 460-p020nd I had replaced my HDD with a Samsung SSD, this was working for 3 years without any issue....now with the latest bios my SSD is not recognized anymore and the only option to get the unit started again was to plug back my HDD.

Going back to the previous bios is also not working anymore (blocked, something with an invalled sign file....)......actually no other solution on internet is working except,

see also this thread, saying it was solved by adding an Sandisk SSD....

ssd drive

but i wonder for how long....

I think this is a rediculous approuch from HP and will push away a lot of customers to buy HP next time again.

HP really need to release new bios versions to redo this SSD hardware lock.....

HP Recommended

Thank you @Renzov75,

I agree with you that this is not a correct approach to customers and market in general.

Did you heard about the new line of SSD from HP? like the s700 that was offered to me by a local vendor... again, without guarantee of compatibility.

Cheers

frank

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Actually I came across the same HP SSD.....but did not want ot try it before I got the latest and the greatest from the HP Desktop engineers who are looking into my issue.

Even then I think it is redicolous that I need to buy another SSD when I have one lying here and which was working for 3 years.

I'm from The Netherlands and buying a lot via Amazon.de......I also see this HP SSD available in their store...

HP S700 PRO SSD - Amazon.de

Cheers, Renzo

HP Recommended

Hi @Renzov75,

I returned to Amazon a SSD Samsung 860 EVO SATA bought a few days ago that does not work on my Pavilion and ordered the SSD HP S700.

I'm sorry for Samsung and Amazon, but HP didn't help me to find out an SSD that works on my Pavilion.

I tried both with US and italian support.

US support escalated the issue to my regional support, Italian.

Italian support said that they can assist me only if the PC is in its orignial configuration, without any SSD... so thay cannot give me any help to expand/change it.  They also told me that change the hardware of the PC would void the warranty.

I hope you'll have better luck in your response from HP, however if you want I'll let you know if the S700 works for me.

Cheers

frank

HP Recommended

HI Frank,

Yes please let me know if the HP SSD is working for you......

BTW: Did you order de HP S700 or HP S700 PRO? ......The S700 is missing the DRAM which the PRO has......so I would buy the PRO if the HP SSD woudl work.

Cheers, Renzo

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Currently I have a Samsung Evo 750 SSD in my PC which is not working.......today I will also test a Samsung Evo 850 SSD.

I will let you know the outcome of this.

I'm also very interested in this HP S700 (PRO) version to know if this one is working.....

Cheers, Renzo

HP Recommended

Both Samsung Evo 750 and 850 are not working.

Ordered a HP S700 Pro to test if that one does work.....

HP Recommended

Hi @Renzov75,

I tested a Samsung SATA SSD 850 EVO and a SATA SSD 860 EVO, without success... My Pavilion "freezed" before BIOS loading. No way to boot or enter BIOS with those SSD connected.

Yesterday I tested a SSD HP S700 (2DP99AA#ABB) and it works for me!

Cheers

frank

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Frank.

Ok, so that is good news even as it is strange that HP is not willing us to use a Samsung drive (or it has nothing todo with Samsung, but HP is not supportng this controller which is inside this 'Samsung' drive).

My HP S700 Pro (2AP98AA#ABB will come tomorrow.....I will let you know if this one also works. (maybe also good for other forum members.)

Cheers, Renzo

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

I still need to receive the new SSD , but in the meantime i noticed this afternoon that a new bios update have been pushed, in my case the F.39 ((ROM-serie SSID 81B4).

I'm installing this as we speak......if that one solves the problem then i will sent the HP SSD back.

Cheers, Renzo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.