Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE -1380t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased Pavillion HPE h8-1380t in July 2012 with Windows 7.  I subsequently upgraded to WINDOWS 10 v1511, Build 10586.1045.  HP has not supported drivers for this machine  for at least 1 plus years because of its age. Now this version of Windows 10 mentioned above is no longer supported by Microsoft and I can't upgrade to a newer version because HP does not supply drivers.

Since I can't upgrade any further what other operating systems are feasible to install on this computer?  The computer has an i7-3820 processor with 12mb of ram. It is fast and in excellent shape and I don't want to trash it.

Are there any other workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Windows Updatewill offer to install drivers.

You can let Windows Update install the drivers, but if they do not work as they did previously, then rollback the driver to the previous working one.

You don't have to update the drivers.  With an older PC like yours ,it is best to leave the current driver as it is if the device the driver is for is still working.

If you donwnload a driver from the HP Support driver download page and it is for an older OS, just right click the driver to install it in compatibility mode.

I said nothing about running Windows in compatibility mode.  Read my last post one more time. Compatibility mode is a driver installation feature that Microsoft created to make life easier for people who have older PCs that do not have updated drivers.

PC and motherboard manufacturers as an industry do not supply drivers for their products beyond three to five years.  That is just something we all have to deal with. Eventually you will have to get yourself a newer PC.  Windows 10 itself will make your PC obsolete by no longer allowing the available drivers for the chipset and devices onboard to work.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

try installing the drivers in compatibility mode.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I am not an expert user.  The answer given is confusing to me.  I have Windows 10 installed but HP doesnot provide drivers for any further Windows 10 updates. How Can Windows be  updated without the latest drivers?  How would you run Windows 10 in a compatability mode?  I understand how to do that with an old app but not the operating system

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

Windows Updatewill offer to install drivers.

You can let Windows Update install the drivers, but if they do not work as they did previously, then rollback the driver to the previous working one.

You don't have to update the drivers.  With an older PC like yours ,it is best to leave the current driver as it is if the device the driver is for is still working.

If you donwnload a driver from the HP Support driver download page and it is for an older OS, just right click the driver to install it in compatibility mode.

I said nothing about running Windows in compatibility mode.  Read my last post one more time. Compatibility mode is a driver installation feature that Microsoft created to make life easier for people who have older PCs that do not have updated drivers.

PC and motherboard manufacturers as an industry do not supply drivers for their products beyond three to five years.  That is just something we all have to deal with. Eventually you will have to get yourself a newer PC.  Windows 10 itself will make your PC obsolete by no longer allowing the available drivers for the chipset and devices onboard to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.