Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-r159c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The wireless white keyboard included in the HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-r159c package has a (fn) key, in the lower left side of the keyboard layout. Typically this (fn) button is pressed only when the user want to use the added multimedia functionalities on the top row of the keyboard (F1, F2, F3, .... and F12 keys) such as (increase volume, decrease volume, mute, increase screen light, decrease screen light, etc). If the user DID NOT press (fn) key then the functionality keys (F1, F2, F3, .... and F12 keys) will result normal functions such as (F1 for help, F2 for files renaming, F3 for Find, .. and so on).

However in this bundled keyboard however the default setting is exactly the opposite: F1, F2, F3, .. up to F12 keys are multimedia keys BY DEFAULT. If the user want to the windows functionalities (F1 for help, F2 for files renaming, F3 for Find, .. and so on) then the user MUST press (fn) first. This makes the whole desktop computing experience quite awkward to me.

Is there a way to switch the way around for (fn) key? or to disable the setting? the keyboard does not have any button to do that. The BIOS setting does not have anything to do with the keyboard. The computer screen does not have any indicator to do that. Windows 10 does not have any setting for it.

HP Support Forums have many answers that lead to BIOS settings but that works only in laptops. This All-in-One does not have a BIOS that can work the suggested solutions.

What can be done to fix this?

Image of the wireless keyboard https://cdn.alzashop.com/ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=HPBP0603c2o

Also https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Html/Merch/Images/c05652638_500x367.jpg

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MrZed,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I understand you need assistance with the wireless keyboard. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you.

I'm afraid, this is by design and the computer does not have the action key mode feature. You must first press the Fn key to perform the secondary action of a function key - the action of the printed symbol on the key. 

Additional software is required to change the behavior of keyboard keys in Windows. There are several free software apps for changing the behavior of keys; such as Sharpkeys, MapKeyboard, KeyTweak, Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, and others. Search the Internet for the name of one of these software applications or "keyboard mapping software" to find and learn more.

NOTE: The Fn key is a special key controlled by hardware. It cannot be remapped using the software.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet, thanks for the informative feedback.

In this given the hardware is designed to operate this way does that mean replacing the keyboard with another wireless keyboard (say a 3rd party product like Logitech with basic keys layout, or perhaps a different wireless keyboard from HP with no (Fn) key in it) will not necessarily generate the same issue again? 

HP Recommended

@MrZed,

Thank you for replying,

In this scenario, it's definitely by design and trying a regular keyboard should definitely help you.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

So I worked through your suggestions, but neither of all 4 apps below do the work. Sharpkeys does not recognize the function key, I was able to find the description of the keys in the list, but remapping them did not work. I had the same issues with MapKeyboard and KeyTweak. Actually I didnt try the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator as this requires me to look up a stone age version of .NET Framework. I'm not willing to install this as I feel the results would be the same.

It is a shame that if you buy a 1700 euro computer, HP expects you to mainly use it to listen music and adjust the brightness of your screen by making the media keys primary. With only one working solution which is buying a new keyboard.

HP Recommended

I wonder why HP wants to help third-party keyboard vendors sell keyboards.  This wireless keyboard from HP is great, except one glaring flaw; the Fn key is always on.  Now Mr. Google said to use the bios to change it, but as is often the case, Mr. Google was wrong.  Another suggestion was to hold down the esc button and the Fn button at the same time.  This last suggestion didn't work.  Now I read that it is by design.  Oh how wonderful to have these special keys available so easily, but wait --- this means that the F1 - F12 function keys are not so easily available.

Why does it matter?  I like to play this on-line game, and it has the function keys mapped to certain actions.  While playing, it is often too clumsy to hold down the Fn button to push a function button.  Almost all the time, when I would want one of the special functions; I would not mind holding down the Fn button.  Of course a better solution would be to have another button row I guess.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I believe it is clearly a design flaw. I wonder what the person who was designing this keyboard was thinking. Not only you cannot change the default F-keys but also the default is the multimedia keys. Not acceptable.

HP Recommended

I think I may have found a solution without buying anything, or installing ANY software. 

you will have to install some "HARDWARE" however... 

so far it is working.... 

20200101_235438.jpg

I did remove the wire pieces for nicer aesthetics but didn't include the picture... but yes... it is functional!

(for those that cannot see the picture, I took a binder clip and clipped the FN button down)

I did try it on the left FN key first, and it didn't work for some reason... only tried it the one time though.

I have seen this question asked a bunch of times, with no solution, and I can't believe I actually beat the system 😂

I also can't believe that HP would do this in the first place.... just kinda dumb. Anyway, I recommend removing it when you boot up your computer, because I have no idea what it would do. 😀

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.