Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Would the following hard drive be a good choice for my z800?

I purchased it used and I want to start with a new hard drive and rebuild it so that I have a wn 10 configuration, verus the win 7 64 pro edition.

Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA 7.2K RPM 64MB Cache 6G 3.5" Hard Drive

The reason why I am interested in this drive is that are affordable, and available from a number of competitive outlets; i.e. ebay and amazon, etc.

Additionally they have good reviews for media applications.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey kbruff2016 🙂 welcome to the community!

WD Black is a performance-oriented HDD designed for heavier and more extensive workloads as well as heavier multitasking. It should serve you well for a long time as it comes with a good 5-year warranty. 

Do you have any other drives in your workstation? It may be a good idea to consider as SSD for the OS as you would see great improvements in the loading/boot times and overall responsiveness of the system.

If you planning on using the HDD in any RAID arrays in the future I would recommend going with a NAS/RAID-class drive as they have additional features such as TLER support that ensure stable and safe performance in such conditions. WD Red is an example. 

Captain_WD.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey kbruff2016 🙂 welcome to the community!

WD Black is a performance-oriented HDD designed for heavier and more extensive workloads as well as heavier multitasking. It should serve you well for a long time as it comes with a good 5-year warranty. 

Do you have any other drives in your workstation? It may be a good idea to consider as SSD for the OS as you would see great improvements in the loading/boot times and overall responsiveness of the system.

If you planning on using the HDD in any RAID arrays in the future I would recommend going with a NAS/RAID-class drive as they have additional features such as TLER support that ensure stable and safe performance in such conditions. WD Red is an example. 

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your comments and insight.

The reason for selecting (or preferring the WDB HD) is that they have a long standing reputation for reliability and affordability.

Some of my tasks are very R/W intentsive (audio editing) and thus a drive with large cache would offer more band-width, considering that the system has 24 GB of RAM. The cost of 1 TB using discs versus SSD is a considerable difference.

There also diagnostic tools that can accurately report the health of a WD drive, but I am not sure if an SSD drive can be interrogated in the same way to estimate health, age and other issues which compromise performance.

Thank you,

Kevin

HP Recommended

You are most welcome! 🙂

WD Black should be a good choice then. Our WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool does report the health of our drives well.  

It is recommended to use a tool provided by the manufacturer as it reports the condition of the drive in the most correct way.

The Raw Values of the S.M.A.R.T. status can also give you quite accurate information about the drive's health.

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Thank you, very much for your comment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.