Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Forum, earlier this year, TheNomadOfTime posed this question in this Forum, and I quote: "Can I upgrade my HP Elite 8300 SFF to this cpu= Xeon E3-1280 v2?"

A veteran response came quickly, quote:

On page 112 of the manual, is a list of CPU's that are approved for that PC.  There are no Xeon CPU's on the list http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798.pdf

-end quote.

Apparently no: "because HP didn't list them."

Even though it is true that HP left out the Xeon E3-v2 family of server CPUs, they do in fact work just fine on the HP Elite 8300 platforms.  My HP Elite 8300 USDT is running very well indeed on a Xeon E3-1280 v2.  As a matter of fact, its performance matches an i7-3770K. The most important reason why I didn't install the faster Xeon E3-1290 v2, is that this CPU draws a lot more power (87 watts vs. 69 watts) than the E3-1280 v2.  One -very minor- drawback is that whenever you want to change something in BIOS, you'll have to temporarily install a compatible CPU with integrated graphics because the Xeon CPUs don't have embedded graphic capabilities, nor would you need that since you would want to use a mid- to high performance eGPU anyway.

UserBenchmark HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT Rating_211015.jpgXeon_E3-1280 v2 CPU_1.jpgXeon_E3-1280 v2 CPU_2.jpgXeon_E3-1280 v2 CPU_3.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.