Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z240 SFF Workstation

Hi,

I’d like to install a media card reader (e.g. HP 468494-005) into the shared internal/external 3.5" drive bay of my HP Z240 SFF workstation but it doesn't fit. It probably needs a carrier of some kind, because the casing is just a bit too wide and there are no holes for the standard screws. I couldn't find any instructions on the HP website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Z240 SSF had an option (factory install) of an SD card reader.  The kit can  not be ordered. See pg 10.  Your theory on the HP 636166-001 is unusual.  Have you really seen that item?  Look here.  What are you really wanting?  A simple microSD and SD reader? If so, here is a reader that I use.  It's portable and it's USB 3.0

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply. You are quite right, an external drive is a good alternative. The reason for my question is simple: I have already got a 3.5" media card reader drive available and the Z240 has got a 3.5" drive bay. So it seems to be quite natural and sensible to make use of the two rather than bying another drive.

To rephrase my question: is there any way to make use of the emty 3.5" drive bay in the Z240 SFF? Your answer somehow implies that it cannot be used other than for factory fitted drives. In this case it should be made clear in the specs, I think.

Best regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

It was made quite specific in the parts illustration guide, which is part of the Manual subsystem.   I did make reference to page 10 (via a link).  I do not have a clearly define picture of the internal mounting. to the interior panel.  Without that,  I can not make a suggestion.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I think the reference on p 10 of the illustration guide /QuickSpecs you mentioned doesn't refer to the 3.5" bay. Have a look at the first page. Pos 3 is pointing to the 3.5" drive bay, pos 4 is pointing to the media card reader slot.

So the question is still open: how can the 3.5" bay be used for any internal or external drive? Does anyone know of an example where this drive bay is actually used?

Best regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

Why do you not remove the case cover, and look.  I have tried to assist you on the Business class model.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I know this question is a year old, but in case someone comes here looking for the solution and was frustrated by the puzzingly unhelpful answers provided, check This Thread for the answer.  There's actually mounting screws included in the case, on the base, near the bay. These screws allow you to slide in the drive.

Hope that helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.