Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp compaq 8200 elite sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed a second hard drive but the system doesn't seem to reqagnize it.  I have it connected to the light blue sata port.  Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well crap, now I have to re-type my reply.....I typed it in Notepad but it seems I can't copy and paste into this box.

I agree with DFBonnett, the second drive only works on the BLACK connector, not the light BLUE.

The way I got Win-10 to see the second drive was to go to  Computer Management, then under Storage, click Disk Management:  The drive showed up as Disk 1 but would not show up under the Explore program until I assigned a Drive letter to the Disk....MAGIC, the drive now shows as the assigned letter I gave it  "E"  with a label of Backup.

I tried what erico posted but that didn't work but I thank all that tried to help.

I give credit to Umbutu, it saw the drive without me having to do anything.

Hey Microsoft, look what Linux can do......lol

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

@Donny292

Go to File Explorer.

Right click on This PC.

In the dropdown click on Manage.

Then click on Disk Management.

Does Disk Management see the drive???

REO

HP Recommended

disk managment does not see the drive but when I go into the bios, it sees it.

HP Recommended

It will be helpful to mention the (1) Original OS version , (2) current BIOS revision, and the size of the new HD.  All these matter is determining an answer.  You also stated the BIOS "saw" the new HD.  Was the size correct?  While I am not an expert is the business class machines (8200 included), you answers will benefit others more knowledgeable.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I did mention that it's Windows 10 but the machine had Windows 7 before.    I will have to get back with more info, I just noticed something I need to check. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC  with Intel core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 ghz

It had Win-7 Pro installed but I upgraded it to Win-10 and all runs fine.

I removed a HD from a computer just like it but don't know if I screwed it up after deleteing and reformating.

The HD's are 250 gb Sata drives.

I don't know what you meant by  "business class machines (8200 included)"

I looked online for info and all I found was that I should be able to connect the cables up and it should work.

The BIOS is J01 v02.16  and it shows the new HD as Sata1, connected to the light blue connector.

I ran the DPS Self-Test (what ever that is) on the 2nd HD and it passed all tests.

In the Device Configuration..

SATA0 250gb, wdc   etc....

SATA1 250gb  ST....etc

Storage Options

eSATA Port  Enabled

SATA Emulation  AHCI Mode

Removable Media Boot   Enabled

Max eSATA Speed 1.5 gbps

I did try a copy of Ubuntu from the CD (without installing it) with that 2nd drive to see if it would work, don't know if that may have done anything to that drive.  I just tried the Ubuntu again (without installing) and I can access the HD fine so the drive works in that OS, just not in  Win-10

Under Boot Order

EFI Boot Sources

USB Hard Drive

USB Floppy/CD

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

Ubuntu

Legacy Boot Sources

Hard Drive

SATA0

SATA1

Network Controller....

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

HP Recommended

Looking forward to reading the resolution to this. I'm having the same problem in Win10. Currently have the 2nd drive plugged into the eSATA connector where it is recognized and funtional, but would prefer to have it on the light blue connector to free up the eSATA connector for future use.

HP Recommended

What is the eSATA connector supposed to be used for? 

HP Recommended

AFAIK, external SATA drive. I believe that's what the E stands for.

HP Recommended

The 8200 series are Business Class systems.  As said, an eSata port is an enternal port enabling the use of an eSata (data) cable to connect to an external eSata drive.  This external drive would be an enclosure with an eSata port  and either a built-in or external power supply. Have asked for an assist with the drive issues.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.