Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

If your desktop PC is an 8200 Elite system, then you don't have an eSATA port.

There are three different Elite 8200 types and none of them have usb 3.0 either.

USB 3.0 ports usually have a light blue part of the port to designate the type difference.   

The only way you would have an eSATA port would be if you installed a low-profile eSATA adapter in a PCIe x1 or x16 slot on the motherboard.

What port are you using to connect your external disk to?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology.  I'm a retired decorating contractor and no way tech savvy. On the motherboard there are 5 SATA connectors. 1 dark blue for 1st HD, 1 light blue for 2nd HD, 2 white connectors for HD/Optical drives, and 1 black for eSATA , according to the tech manual., page 78. I currently have the 2nd HD plugged into the eSATA connector. The 2 white connectors are currently connected to 2 optical drives.

HP Recommended

OK.  

When you connected a SATA hard disk to the light blue USB 3.0 header on the motherboard, did you use a usb 3.0 cable? 

Did you use the DiskPart and prep the drive, including  giving it a drive letter? 

If you did not, that may be why it is not recognized by the operating system. 

You can connect the hard disk on another PC to prep it.

Open an elevated permissions command line windows and type in Diskpart to invoke the utility. You do not need to make your storage disk active as I did in the following copy of a diskpart command session. I was setting up a disk to be used as a boot disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I used 3 different cables, including swapping out the cable from the primary HD. The 2 new ones I bought were advertised as SATA3.  When it was not recognized, I tried pugging it into the eSATA connector. IIRC, a window popped up and it was formatted etc with disk management. I don't recall the specifics. It shows up as a removeable drive F, but functions fine as a clone drive which I update weekly in case the primary fails, which for me is not a rare occurrence. I just wonder if that light blue connector is somehow disabled or just broken. The system is recognizing the drive and writing to it, just only on the black eSATA coonector and not on the light blue. I don't know about either of the white connectors as I haven't tried it on those. They appear to be OK as both optical drives, D and E, are fully functional.

HP Recommended

Well crap, now I have to re-type my reply.....I typed it in Notepad but it seems I can't copy and paste into this box.

I agree with DFBonnett, the second drive only works on the BLACK connector, not the light BLUE.

The way I got Win-10 to see the second drive was to go to  Computer Management, then under Storage, click Disk Management:  The drive showed up as Disk 1 but would not show up under the Explore program until I assigned a Drive letter to the Disk....MAGIC, the drive now shows as the assigned letter I gave it  "E"  with a label of Backup.

I tried what erico posted but that didn't work but I thank all that tried to help.

I give credit to Umbutu, it saw the drive without me having to do anything.

Hey Microsoft, look what Linux can do......lol

HP Recommended

In Diskpart, the assign command should have worked. 

Well it is good to see that you have it up and running.

HP Recommended

You are probably correct, I may have skipped that step.  I guess I was relying on Windows assigning the drive letter as it usually does when you plug in a device.    My err.

HP Recommended

So, did you get that 2nd HD to run off the light blue connector?

HP Recommended

I did not get the light blue connector to work....I am happy if it works on the black one.

HP Recommended

This is an unusual PC in that where a SATA disk is connected it actually makes a difference.

I have not ever found a PC with this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.