Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP-Pavilion AV321AV-ABA e9180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm installing a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD 2.5 inch SATA III Drive in computer and would like to keep the existing drives for storage so I would like to mount the SSD drive on a SEDNA PCI Express (PCIe) SATA III (6G) SSD card. I need to know if my computer's motherboard & bios supports booting of the OS from the installed PCIE disk.

Thank you for your help

HP-Pavilion Desktop e9180t

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION TRUCKEE 1.04E01

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.28 04/09/2010

3.07 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950

24568 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ThePapa,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I came across your post about the SSD issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that you are looking to find if you can boot from the SSD, and use the other drives as storage.

Based on the Product Specifications of the desktop, Hard Drives must be installed using one of the following options:

• 2 x 500 GB drives in RAID 1 (500 GB usable storage capacity), 7200 rpm, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1 TB (2 x 500) 7200 rpm RAID 0, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 300 GB 10K rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) (Primary Drive); 640 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) (Secondary Drive)

• 640 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 750 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1.5 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 2 TB 7200 rpm (2 x 1 TB) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @ThePapa,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I came across your post about the SSD issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that you are looking to find if you can boot from the SSD, and use the other drives as storage.

Based on the Product Specifications of the desktop, Hard Drives must be installed using one of the following options:

• 2 x 500 GB drives in RAID 1 (500 GB usable storage capacity), 7200 rpm, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1 TB (2 x 500) 7200 rpm RAID 0, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 300 GB 10K rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) (Primary Drive); 640 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) (Secondary Drive)

• 640 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 750 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 1.5 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

• 2 TB 7200 rpm (2 x 1 TB) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response but after rethinking the answer can the SSD drive I want install the OS on be a SATA drive installed in a PCIe slot?

HP Recommended

Hello @ThePapa,

I do not believe that this is possible.  It would need to be an M.2 SSD, or a PCIe SSD.  The PCIe slots for your product, are meant for the Graphics Cards, WLAN Modules, sound, and TV-Tuners.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@ThePapa Before trying to install a SSD into your computer, you should check in the BIOS to see if AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) is available in the SATA section.  This is necessary to run a SSD.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.