Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 700-230ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running a 3D slicing program but it keeps crashing.  I suspect that my AMD R9 200 series GPU does not have a large enough memory for it.  The AMD GPU is 2GB.  What would be a recommended GPU type and size that would

a. fit in my Envy 700-230ea desktop: 

b. be more powerful without blowing my PSU or other components?

My Envy 700-230ea desktop has a 32GB RAM and running Windows 10 -64bit

thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your best option is a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. It is three times as fast, and also has 6GB of vRam. In addition, it also consumes less wattage than an R9 270x. You can find a GTX 1660 Ti at around the $250 price point right now, but some of them might be out of stock.

I know that ZOTAC sells small form factor versions of their GTX 1660 Ti if space is a concern for you.

I hope this helped.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your best option is a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. It is three times as fast, and also has 6GB of vRam. In addition, it also consumes less wattage than an R9 270x. You can find a GTX 1660 Ti at around the $250 price point right now, but some of them might be out of stock.

I know that ZOTAC sells small form factor versions of their GTX 1660 Ti if space is a concern for you.

I hope this helped.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that is of great help.

I have looked on the web and there seems to be different producers of the 1660 ti, I thought it was just Nvidia.  I saw one from Gigabyte, which had 3 x Displayport and 1 x HDMI type display connectors.  Would you know if that one would fit an HP Envy 700-230ea and would be compatible?

Thanks again,

Mike

HP Recommended

I have chosen a PNY GeForce 1660 ti 6GB GDDR6 card and placed an order.  Thanks again for the recommendations.

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.