Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1485ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
i want to upgrade my envy h8-1485ea gt 640 to a gtx 1060 founders edition, will my envy be able to handle the gtx 1060?? its the first time iv upgraded my computer rather than get a new one. any help much appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kayleb2375, welcome to the forum.

The first thing to check is, does your motherboard have UEFI.  If not, the card won't work.  Then, there are two main considerations when upgrading the video card: 1) the wattage required to run it properly and 2) will the card fit into the space provided for it.

Your power supply unit (PSU) is 460W.  I doubt that this is enough.  Also, the 1070 requires an additional 8- pin power dongle.  Your PSU most likely doesn't have one.  This will require a PSU upgrade, also.

You should measure the space from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to make certain that the card will fit.

I always recommend that members contact the manufacturer of the components to assure that they agree that it will work; especially when adding new technology to an old computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Kayleb2375, welcome to the forum.

The first thing to check is, does your motherboard have UEFI.  If not, the card won't work.  Then, there are two main considerations when upgrading the video card: 1) the wattage required to run it properly and 2) will the card fit into the space provided for it.

Your power supply unit (PSU) is 460W.  I doubt that this is enough.  Also, the 1070 requires an additional 8- pin power dongle.  Your PSU most likely doesn't have one.  This will require a PSU upgrade, also.

You should measure the space from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to make certain that the card will fit.

I always recommend that members contact the manufacturer of the components to assure that they agree that it will work; especially when adding new technology to an old computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
ill check that stuff out first👍
HP Recommended
yeah on system info it has bios mode - uefi. i had idea i might need to do psu aswell.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Kayleb2375.

@Kayleb2375 wrote:
yeah on system info it has bios mode - uefi. i had idea i might need to do psu aswell.

You are well on your way.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

iv measured inside my case its got room to spare, its not the 1070 im after its the 1060 an my psu does have a 6 pin connector which is what 1060 needs. i feel a lot better now youve put me on right track big thanks. 🙂

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Kayleb2375.  Sorry for not identifying the video card properly, but I have old eyes. :Wink:  It is my pleasure to help you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.