Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P1J97EAABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The CD burner will not finalize - it gets to about 95% then stops and the message " Windows Media Player cannot burn the files" and the disc is ejected. Tried 3 different new sets of clean discs. 

The events viewer reports " The device\device\cdrom has a bad block.

This happens when I use the original HP unit ( hp DVD DU8A6SH ) which came with the computer - and it also happens with a plug in unit ( HL-DT-DVDRAM GT30N USB Device ) suggesting it is not a hardware problem.

I have also used two burn apps - the WMP and Express burn which suggests it is not an app problem.

Both units and empty discs are recognised on " This PC ". Have tried all burn speeds.

In the registry no upper limit is shown, lower limit is shown as PxHlpa64

All drivers are shown to be up to date. None of the trouble shooters can find the problem.

Both units play CD and DVD without a problem. This problem existed from when the HP computer was new but as I didn't need the burn I didn't bother to report it.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Have you tried other blank CDs as you could have a batch of bad CD disks. This web page has some suggestions. Nero has a free version that you can use to test out the system and try other CDs.

HP Recommended

Yes, I've tried 3 different discs from 3 manufacturers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.