Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-one 22 -c0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP All-in-one 22 -c0xx Windows 10 64 bit

I was uninstalling what I thought were unneeded programs. One was a program titled HP something. My computer won't read my cd drive now. The drive shows up in device manager but won't work. I've updated the driver. I've been through three troubleshooting sequences from hp and other places. I saw two references on the web to how a deleted hp program caused the cd drive to stop being read. I can't remember the name of the program.

I need to reinstall all HP system files to their original state but can't find how to do this. I'm pretty sure I've troublehot everything and system checked everything except restoring the HP files. The last alternative is system restore and losing all my installed programs.and settings which took a long time to get right.  I've been trying to solve this for a month.

Help !!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You do understand that you're calling me stupid. I don't appreciate it but I will try the VLC program.. I won't be using this avenue for help in the future. It won't hurt you to be more patient with people.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Dwight10,

Sometimes terminology can get you, the OP, into a frustrated "state".

System restore - go back in time to reset your machine to that date. It does LIST all programs affected.

System Recovery Manager has several options. 

Option to fully re-install the OS, without data loss.

Option to format and install the OS only.  (New out of box experience).

Option to re-install drivers.

Option to re-install some of the programs that were installed.

Finally, you could just install a new program, called VLC.    VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I am  confused by the terminology. Can any option accomplish these things together  for me?

1) Restore the OS files including the HP system program file I uninstalled.

2) Keep my installed programs.

If I have to bite the bullet, reinstall Windows 10 and lose my installed programs I will, but I want to try a few other things first.

What do you think of me shutting down, removing the cd drive, rebooting, shutting down., reinstalling the drive, and rebooting? It's quite a job and I wouldn't want to try it if you think it's a waste of time.

I'm going to keep hunting for the webpage where a fellow had my exact problem and had uninstalled the same program I did.

Btw, I appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

@Dwight10,

Why not install the VLC program, and try it.

I tried to get you ro read the options, hoping the missing software title would be listed as a program it was able to re-installed. Apparently that confused you more.  If I try to lead you to corrective action, I do forsee disaster.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

You do understand that you're calling me stupid. I don't appreciate it but I will try the VLC program.. I won't be using this avenue for help in the future. It won't hurt you to be more patient with people.

HP Recommended

@Dwight10,

You openly stated you were confused. It remained so, even after explanation. When I sense confusion about terms, I will not lead a person into a disaster. The Recovery Manager was very specific in its list of options and what each does. Sorry if you took offense. 😩

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.