Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-p030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my first blue screen it was a cpu fan error. Sorry I do not have an error code. How do I replace the fan? which part number do I need? Is replacing the fan a simple process? Do I need thermal paste?

Thank you for your help!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the parts list for your PC.

HP PartSurfer

The fan is not sold separately, but is sold as part of the heat sink assembly.

858654-001Heatsink - Shave2/Razr, Intel

HP does not sell the part.

I did a search and this vendor has the part for sale...$22.50.

858654-001 HP Slimline Desktop 260-P026 / 270-P026 Copper Core CPU Cooling Fan - Intel Socket-1150 /...

What you can do would be to just swap the good fan off the new heatsink with the bad one.

It should unscrew and that will save you the hassle of cleaning the processor and heat sink surfaces and reapplying thermal paste.

Your other option would be to remove the fan, take it to a local PC repair shop and see if they can match one up having the same size, screw holes, and # of wires.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to confirm with you that this is the fan.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-001S-01195

it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The link you posted has a different part number, so I cannot confirm that fan is correct.

That part is for the case fan, not the CPU fan.

The heatsink/fan combination link I posted is the correct part number and according to that site, it is in stock.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. Your part number did not appear on the parts  list am I missing something? It could be that I assumed wrong? This appears on the parts list: Fan part number: 859086-001 system fan, 9225 2500RPM Axial, Shave2. Do I need any special screwdriver to remove the new fan to replace the old? Does it come with instructions on how to remove and install?

Thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As I posted yesterday, the CPU fan is part of the heat sink assembly and is not sold separately.

The fan/heatsink is part number 858654-001.

The part 859086-001, 9225 2500RPM Axial, Shave2 is the fan on the computer case.   That is not the CPU fan.

That is why I suggested that you buy the fan/heatsink assembly, remove the good fan from it and swap it with the dead fan on the installed heat sink...or remove the fan from the heatsink, take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can find one that matches.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if the part comes with any instructions.

There are probably 4 Philips head screws you have to remove from the fan, and the wire to the motherboard.

You will need a Philips head screwdriver that fits.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do the job.

Here is the link to the service manual which will help you open the PC. 

There will not be any instructions on how to remove or replace the heat sink fan.

854257-SJ1_Shave2_USG_WW_cover.fm (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. Do you have any experience ordering from the vendor that you recommended? I think that I will order one today. Hopefully I can remove the fan from the heatsink with no problem. I have been reading that some people still get the blue screen after they replace their fan. You have definitely been a big help. Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you ordered computer parts from CWC Group before? They have some mixed reviews. I was getting ready to place my order but then decided to check out their reviews first.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi:

I do not have any experience ordering from that vendor.

When I searched by the part number, that was the only place that showed up that had the part in stock and listed the price.

If you don't feel comfortable ordering from them, I recommend you continue searching by the part number I posted, and see if you can find a reseller that you are comfortable buying from.

HP Recommended

I ordered the part that same day and received it last thursday. I did not have a chance to install it until today. I am having a problem removing the fan from my old pc. The screws use a philips screwdriver but the screwdriver that I have is from a PC repair kit and the screwdriver seems too small. I tried several other philips screwdriver and neighter seems to fit is either too big or two small. I thought about replacing the entire heat sink with fan. But the problem is I do not have any new thermal paste. The one I have is from back when I was attending community college in a computer repair class,.

I would just like to replace the fan only. Any suggestions?

Wilson

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.