Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen desktop 880-020na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi everyone

My son has Omen 880-020na which he loves, some of his favourite online games his CPU is struggling to meet the minimum requirements now. He currently has a AMD Ryzen5 1400. the HP Website say he can be upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700 or  Ryzen 7 1800x without changing the motherboard. I can change the CPU over my question is do we need to upgrade the Bios software as well? if so how would we do this?

He is a student and not flush with money so to be able to upgrade the chip only and not the mother board would be great. 

thanks for reading Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You don't need a BIOS update to install an AMD Ryzen 1700 or 1800x processor in this motherboard (MB).

There is a BIOS update (Link). This update provides additional security features.

Download sp100505.exe at the above link. Run this file within Windows and patiently wait until the update is done.

A loss of AC power or shutting down your PC before this BIOS update completes is not good; so there are some risks when updating the BIOS.

The 1800x processor is a 95 watt part. All other possible CPU upgrades are 65 watts.

This may mean the existing heatsink/fan may have a problem with CPU cooling if you do the 1800x.

HP has modified the MB CPU heatsink mounting points on the Higos MB. Retail AMD CPU heatsinks will not work with your MB.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You don't need a BIOS update to install an AMD Ryzen 1700 or 1800x processor in this motherboard (MB).

There is a BIOS update (Link). This update provides additional security features.

Download sp100505.exe at the above link. Run this file within Windows and patiently wait until the update is done.

A loss of AC power or shutting down your PC before this BIOS update completes is not good; so there are some risks when updating the BIOS.

The 1800x processor is a 95 watt part. All other possible CPU upgrades are 65 watts.

This may mean the existing heatsink/fan may have a problem with CPU cooling if you do the 1800x.

HP has modified the MB CPU heatsink mounting points on the Higos MB. Retail AMD CPU heatsinks will not work with your MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

hi

happy new year.

thanks for your reply my lad now very happy. told him not our the wood just yet.

if we purchase a 65w ryzen 7 1700. do you think the cooling fan will still fit the mother board? or could we re use the current one?

sean

HP Recommended

Hi SPR9,

You're very welcome.

Happy New Year.

You can use the existing heat sink and fan if you install the 1700 CPU.

Regards

HP Recommended

hi

did as you suggested and my son and i sat down and fixed a new razen as you suggested. the new fan did not fit so we used the old one. it works like a treat. he is so happy. thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi SPR9,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.