Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8300 elite cmt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i got a refurbished 8300 elite cmt... not sff! power supply lite-on 320w....

can i upgrade to gtx 1650? or can i change the power supply? someone said i can have a supercase 650w.. is it true? can i do something to upgrade card to GTX 1050 TI or GTX 1650? thanks...

(both cards nvidia says recommend 300w)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope.

Your power supply meets the 300W requirement and the PCIx slot is rated at 75W.

Just make sure you plug the card in the black video card slot, not the white one.

Also check your GT710 to make sure that is in the black slot.

It is a common mistake to install the card in the wrong slot, since they look exactly the same.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't upgrade the power supply or case.  The P/S is proprietary.

You can install the GTX 1050 Ti.

Here is a video where someone installed the GTX 1050 Ti in the 8300 Elite SFF.

The only thing I see this person did incorrectly is that he installed the card in the white video card slot.

It goes in the black one.  The black slot is the PCIe x16 slot and the white slot which looks exactly the same is a PCIe x4 slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bet_CCPQgUI

If there are any remaining questions, feel free to ask me in the comments. Thanks for watching :) Nvidia Drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us PC Specs: HP Compaq 8300 SFF Intel Core i7 3770 CPU @3.4 GHz 8 GB Ram MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI LP Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 500
HP Recommended

im having a i3-3220

2 hdd

4gb ram + 2x2gb ram (total 3=8gb)

1dvd-rw

can i upgrade to gtx 1650? they say same resources (75w from pcie) like gtx 1050 ti.... it would be better to have a one fan? itx model for example? a low profile one?

HP Recommended

You would have to take the card measurements and make sure the 1650 would fit.

We know the 1050 will work, but we don't know if the 1650 will work.

You can do a search and see if you can find any information on that like I did for the 1050.

I can't say it will work, and that is a lot of money to waste if it doesn't.

HP Recommended

i thought the video you posted was about space.... just noticed the 240w psu..

while mine, the cmt has 320w.. plus i have lower pentium i got i3 3220 he has i7 3470 means mine less power  needed... so i should be ok?

now the gtx 1650 says uses same power, i mean 75w from pcie.... example.... 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-1650-aero-itx-oc.b6907

that means... im ok with both cards?

HP Recommended

Yes, as far as power you are fine.

But since I cannot find any info on anyone installing a 1650 in the 8300 Elite, I can't guarantee it will work.

I agree with you that it should, but I can't be 100% certain that it will.

HP Recommended

thanks for the reply.... the gtx 1050 ti... is sure to work fine? no matter how pressure / high settings it will be?

i have to make an upgrade on june that chaosbane releases 😄

hmmm... posting this hopping someone will try.. before me 😄

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The video shows the card works just fine in the SFF, so it would have to also work in the CMT.

The only major difference between the 2 PC's is the power supply.

HP Recommended

Hi, i have the 8300 MT.

It has the 320 Watts PSU.

The problem is that i heard that none of the PCI Express of this computers (8300) can't handle more than 35W. I don't know if that's true or not so im scared.

My idea was to install a gtx 1050.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

That is true of the SFF.

The CMT's PCIe x16 slot is rated to handle up to 75W.

Here is a very useful document that provides most of the specs for the 8300 Elite model series...see page 15 for the slot wattage specs.

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/06/e1/06e1363d-dd27-4055-a7c7-8647d7042226.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.