Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i need  to get a  new   hard  drive  for my hpe phoenix  h9-1170 because it has a s.m.a.r.t.  303 error. should any hp hard drive like  from  the  parts lists of  the newer computers work?  or  do  i have  only the ones  from the h9-1170 parts list to  pick from. all of  those on the  h9-1170 parts list  are sold out, and  are overpriced  refurbished ones online. or  would my computer allow me  to get a normal retail hard  drive online  like  from newegg.  i'd like  to  put  my restore  disks on my  computer again  too, is that even possible?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can buy any 3.5" 5400 or 7200 RPM SATA III desktop hard drive you want, from any vendor.

The recovery disks will probably only work if you buy another 2 TB hard drive.

I would recommend that you not exceed a 2 TB hard drive, or you will have to use some pretty complicated steps to reinstall the operating system.

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your PC's case, you can also make your own plain W7 installation media, and not be restricted to what hard drive you buy, if you want to go with a smaller size drive.

Click on the Windows ISO Downloader.exe link to download the tool to create the W7 ISO file download.

Select the W7 COEM ISO file download version for the product key the OS is good for, which is the OEM operating system ISO file.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

I have zipped up and attached the Microsoft utility below, that will allow you to either put the file on a USB flash drive or burn it to a DVD.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-1100-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5154893/model...

HP Recommended

so the motherboard  is  actually  able  to  find\run any hard  drive? sweet, i  tried  replacing  my  video card on it and it  was being  picky  for that. 

so a 848197-800   In stock   Hard Drive - GNRC, 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5 should work  fine?

HP Recommended

Yes, that should work just fine.

Yes, for some reason installing a graphics card in a HP consumer desktop PC is not an easy thing to do for some reason.

Are you going to get it from HP for $150.48 with an exchange?

You can get this one for a whole lot less...

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-3-5-Inch-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=sr_1_5?ie=U...

HP Recommended

is that the 848197-800?

HP Recommended

No, It is just a Seagate hard drive that should work in your PC.

As I posted earlier...you can install any brand hard drive you want.

Doesn't have to have a HP part number.

HP uses Seagate hard drives from time to time.

My HP 8200 Elite CMT business desktop came with a 1 TB seagate hard drive.

HP Recommended

i ended  up installing  the  hard  drive  and  put  windows  10 pro on it. i  had  to  disable  "fast  startup  mode"  so it   doesnt   freeze at  the  black  windows  screen  with the  blue  windows  symbol. outside of  that hiccup  my  refurbished  factory  computer  seems  to  work  great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.