Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
251-a110z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

was thinking about upgrading the memory on my hp 251-a110z desktop. It has 8gb of memory installed. I think it can be upgraded to 16gb. Is that right? what memory should i buy? And would it make a improvement in performance?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Trekwatcher,

Swapping in a new storage device is fairly easy.

The quickest way to do this is to clone or copy the existing HDD image to the replacement SSD. You could also back up data located on the existing HDD. Then do a clean Windows 10 installation to start fresh. You will also have to reinstall any programs you have added to your PC if you do a clean Windows installation.

First you should look at the capacity of your current HDD. Buy a SSD that can work with your data storage requirements. You can also use the old HDD as a data drive after you get the new SSD working.

There are many good SSD purchase options; Samsung, Adata, Crucial, WD, and others. I usually buy 500 GB or larger SSDs when upgrading systems.

Cloning the HDD to the new SSD

Two options can be used;. Internally connect the SSD to an open SATA port and SATA power or get a SATA/USB adapter cable (Link). This adapter will connect to the SDD and an external USB port.

I recommend Macrium reflect free (Link) to copy/clone the HDD to the SSD.

The process to clone from one storage device to a different storage device can be reviewed at this site (Link).

You will probably have to also get a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter to install the SSD in your PC's HDD cage. This adapter (Link) has worked well for me.

Get back to the forum if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Yes, you can go to 16 GB of memory on a 64 bit operating system.

I would look at Crucial Memory (Link) for compatible memory upgrades.

Improving system performance is a subjective subject.

What do you do now that appears to be lacking in adequate system performance?

Adding system memory is not going to provide a significant boost to gaming. Adding memory is not going to improve boot times or general system responsiveness.

The best upgrade to boost system performance is a 2.5 SATA SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

No gaming, the system just seems to struggle in basic tasks, boot time is ok, but at times you wonder if it will open up the program you have clicked on. I think I Have done basics to keep in good shape, virus protection, using malware protection, but just wanting to see about improving system performance.  So if I do the hard drive improvement to 2.5 data drive SSD ,  I'm not really sure how to do that. I have changed memory before, changed cd-rom in other computers. But not a lot on changing hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Trekwatcher,

Swapping in a new storage device is fairly easy.

The quickest way to do this is to clone or copy the existing HDD image to the replacement SSD. You could also back up data located on the existing HDD. Then do a clean Windows 10 installation to start fresh. You will also have to reinstall any programs you have added to your PC if you do a clean Windows installation.

First you should look at the capacity of your current HDD. Buy a SSD that can work with your data storage requirements. You can also use the old HDD as a data drive after you get the new SSD working.

There are many good SSD purchase options; Samsung, Adata, Crucial, WD, and others. I usually buy 500 GB or larger SSDs when upgrading systems.

Cloning the HDD to the new SSD

Two options can be used;. Internally connect the SSD to an open SATA port and SATA power or get a SATA/USB adapter cable (Link). This adapter will connect to the SDD and an external USB port.

I recommend Macrium reflect free (Link) to copy/clone the HDD to the SSD.

The process to clone from one storage device to a different storage device can be reviewed at this site (Link).

You will probably have to also get a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter to install the SSD in your PC's HDD cage. This adapter (Link) has worked well for me.

Get back to the forum if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi Trekwatcher,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.