Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-174
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just bought the 550-174 and wanted to install an SSD with M.2. connection but I cannot find that slot ...It should be there:

http://support.hp.com/nl-nl/document/c04790427

I searched the internet for a manual or screenshot of the motherboard but I cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Looking in THIS THREAD, the topic under discussion has already been addressed.  As stated in that thread, the SATA III speed is the same as SATA 6Gb/s Interface whereas the 1.5 SATA speed is the oldest spec  SATA known aka SATA I

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The link in the post does show a picture of the motherboard.  Is the one inside your PC different from that?

By what information did you conclude the slot for an SSD should be there?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

yes, the one in my PC looks the same as shown on the site.

I read the section expansion slots and there it says:

- One M.2 socket 1, key A

I bought this SSD:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E500BW

I opened the PC and looked for the mentioned M.2 slot but I cannot find it anywhere...that's why I was:

- looking for a manual on the motherboard

- questioning if the information on the board, is still correct.

kind regards,

Stefan

HP Recommended

I see that info on the support page for the subject motherboard.  I also saw your other post concerning this same subject.  The link for the SSD you purchased indicates "SATA 6Gb/s Interface, compatible with SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s interface" which would indicate to me that is uses the regular SATA connections but looking at the edge connections, it does not use a slot A connection either but maybe a slot B & M.

I am not familiar with these new drives but it would seem that the drive you purchased will not work with that motherboard as a true M.2 socket drive.  I can see that is confusing.  See if you can talk to someone from the retailer that sold the drive to give the correct drive that will work with that motherboard. IMHO

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Dean,

thanks so far but I think the SATA interface connection you mention, are never able to reach that 1,5 GB.....as far as I know (but correct me if I'm wrong, the SATA goes up to 600 MB.... correct ?

I did some investigation before I bought the SSD and it's quite common to have M.2 slot in a modern laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-...

I did expect the slot to show up when I opened up the case but since I could not find it, I went looking for the manual of the motherboard....

do you happpen to know where to find that ?

HP Recommended

Looking in THIS THREAD, the topic under discussion has already been addressed.  As stated in that thread, the SATA III speed is the same as SATA 6Gb/s Interface whereas the 1.5 SATA speed is the oldest spec  SATA known aka SATA I

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.