Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
590-p0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What type expansion bays exist in a HP 590-p0050.  I need to add an additional hard drive and need to make sure that the system can support it.  What size bay(s),  is the power supply big enough, is there an additional power cable for the drive.  Does the controller have a sigle or double cable?  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@willajr

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

The HP Pavilion 590-p0050 Desktop comes with a 16 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State and a 1 TB SATA hard drive

You do not need additional power cables and you can use both regular SATA and M.2 SSD hard drives on this computer

Please refer to the Product Specifications from this Link: https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c06000982

You can also refer to this Service Guide on how to replace the Hard drives. Link:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05934592

Hope this helps

Keep me posted if you need further assistance

Thank you and have a good day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

When you remove the side panel there is a drive 'cage' at the front of the case that holds the hard drive that came installed with your HP Pavilion 590-p0050. Look closely and you will see stamped into the metal that holds your current hard drive the letters A/B or A beside the screws holding in your hard drive. Look elsewhere and you will see stamped the legend:

A  - 1st 3.5 HDD #6-32

B -  1st 2.5 HDD #M3

You will see a some empty holes that have B stamped beside them. That is where you would mount a 2.5 HDD.

The letters and numbers after the hash (#) are simply the name of the screws to be used (normally come with any HDD purchased).

On the other end of the cage are some holes stamped with C stamped next to them in the metal, and also the legend:

C - 2nd 3.5 HDD #6-32

...and thus the place for a second, 3.5, HDD (C).

Under all of this (see NOTE below!), you will find that the power cable is already present for that second hard drive.

You will need to purchase an addition SATA cable.

NOTE:  before you lift up this cage, do follow the instructions to remove the power and data cable from the DVD drive and slide it ou the front. Sadly, a friendly sales person at a store opened up the case for me and tried lifting up the hard drive cage to see what the cables looked like without FIRST removing the DVD and busted the front of the DVD - it went flying off across the floor. Not Good.

Hope some of this helps.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
HP Recommended

Hi, 

in total how many hard drives can i add to this system?

i am running a plex server and have 4 hardrives ecah 10tb, will this computer support all these drive with buying extra cables?

HP Recommended

I just need the part number for the mounting bracket I will need to install the second SATA drive.  Seems it's nearly impossible to find this number!

HP Recommended

@sk8cop - Did you find the part number for the mounting bracket.  I am looking for the same thing.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

An additional mounting bracket is not needed, @Sk8cop and @Only6foot6. That might explain why there is no part number for a mounting bracket. My specific model is a 590-p0057c, but should be no different than other models in the series. As set up, you can add one additional hard drive. Look closely when you open the case, and you will see a legend marked on the black metal that extends across the case. On one end you will see stamped A and B beside various holes ( A = 3.5 HDD, B = 2.5 HDD). For instance, in my case, I replaced the drive mounted in the screw holes labeled A (3.5 HDD, 1 GB) with larger drive (3.5 HDD, 3GB). If you look across, you can see a number of holes (ah, 4) each with a C beside it. There can you mount another 3.5 HDD, using the provided extra power cable, where you will need to supply your own SATA cable.

Now, it just occurred to me that one might want to install a second 2.5 form factor drive, either a HDD or SSD. In that case, yeppers, you would need a mounting bracket, but while researching about the upgrades to my system, I found that any mounting case would work, as long as it was designed to have a 2.5 form factor drive slid into it, then attach the bracket to the 'C' holes. I had a spare 2.5 form factor HDD, and a spare 2.5 to 3.5 mounting bracket laying around, and checked and it worked just perfectly. Gawd, I have a lot of junk laying around the house....

My system came with a 1GB HDD, slow, but of good quality. What I did was to add a 512MB NVMe SSD to the provided slot on the motherboard, jumped through the hoops to precisely replicate the 1GB onto the 512MB drive, then when everything was running well, I added a 3GB 3.5 HHD. FYI: I didn't not added a blindingly fast 3GB HHD (costs a lot in power requirements), but rather a drive designed for a NAS.

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.