Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 705 g1 mt

Hello! I have a HP 705 G1 MT computer and I want to upgrade it. I want to put an rx 6400 graphics card there and also an ssd and another 8gb of ram to make it 16gb and a 500gb hdd. I just want to know if everything will be compatible. Thanks for help. Current PC Components: A8 PRO 7600b 8gb ram 500gb hdd 280w source dvd rom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No.

It does not fit the power requirement profile.

Actual gaming video cards for your desktop PC are not viable.

It is a productivity PC.

I know that is not what you would like to hear, but it is unfortunately the case.

I wish I could have given you better news.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Considering that your reported PC could be a mini or micro tower PC, it is quite difficult to say.

The only general specifications for a video card  format given by HP are for the optionally configured NVIDIA NVS 310 and NVIDIA NVS 315 PCIe x16 video cards.

The formats for those PCIe x16 cards are: Low Profile: 2.713 × 6.15 in and very low power requirements @20W 

If you search online for graphics upgrades to your specific desktop, you may find more specific advice.

Mini and micro desktop are not formats that lend themselves very well to video card upgrades due to the internal dimensions and system board formats,

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have microtower with 280w powersupply

HP Recommended

And the graphics solution it was delivered with is?  

HP Recommended

I bought pc with integrated graphics

HP Recommended

OK. Then a graphics card with the power specifications that I posted with dimensions should work.

The one you asked about was too long at @7.15".    You may find one made that has a smaller footprint.

@6.1" Maximum width to enable it to fit in the PCIe x16 slot without interference with components on the motherboard.

Since that card has 4GB and two fans I would expect it to have a power requirement greater than 20W
That would make it unlikely to be a compatible card for your PC.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

170MM is 6.69 inches.

That card is too big to fit without  interference on the motherboard.

You should look for a maximum of 155mm x 56mm and single fan. Fanless is best.
Double slot cards are not compatible with your PC.

All of the optional cards for your desktop were at maximum 2GB cards single slot width.

HP Recommended

What about rx 550 low profile???

(Powercolor rx 550 lp)

HP Recommended

No.

It does not fit the power requirement profile.

Actual gaming video cards for your desktop PC are not viable.

It is a productivity PC.

I know that is not what you would like to hear, but it is unfortunately the case.

I wish I could have given you better news.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.