Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 690-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello so my hp pavilion 690-0020 cpu gets really hot while gaming to like 85c, and i just wanted to know what cpu cooler do i need to get that will fit in there and make a big difference, thank you 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Fosters , welcome to the forum.

I am surprised that you are having heat problems with the 2400G.  From what I have been reading, the stock coolers have been doing a good job of cooling.  I suggest giving the computer a thorough cleaning; especially the fans.  This will assure that the airflow is good.

Noctua makes some very good quality AM4 coolers.  It is difficult to know which coolers will work in your case.  They do make a low-profile cooler that should work.  You should measure the space between the side of the case and the processor to make certain the cooler you choose will fit.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

i was told the mouting holes for this pc are different than a am4 I was told this ( Possibly, but I have this hunch that HP uses Intel mounting holes for all their desktop boards, even AMD, which is 75 x 75 mm for their socket 1151 and older variants.) and if you just send me a link to one that would be grate, and from what im told everyone has theres hp pavilion 690-0020 running arund that high of temp but i need it to be lower cause im in a small room and this thing heats it up pretty quick and i cant stand it1554154687953.png

HP Recommended

Noctua is a great cooler...but those low profile models are a pain to install...you need to remove the motherboard from the case...

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

@Fosters,

The fan comes off the heatsink.  What your pointing to are the CPU heatsink mount pins.

Look very carefully thru the holes in the fan corner(s).  Do you not see screws into the heatsink.

Fan -  https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-L14643-001-Replacement-14-DA0011DX/dp/B07LFNNC45/ref=sr_1_1?ke...

heatsink - https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-L14644-001-Replacement-14-DA0011DX/dp/B07LFMHLRZ

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

So will getting a new cpu fan and a new back fan fix this issue and if so can you recommend me some?

HP Recommended

@Fosters,

Lets get some facts into play:

Both the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G processors come bundled with the AMD Wraith Stealth CPU cooler.

The AMD Ryzen 5 2400G showed an idle temp of 28-29C and a load temp of up to 90C
Read more at https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-cpu-reviews-raven-ridge_202691/9#weEpFU...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

So i guess its normal that i get 90c while playing games? i mean im happy nothing bad will happen but sad at that same time cause it heats up my house i wish it would stay cooler, IF this can happen am I able to move it to a new case with better airflow and IF so please send me a link stright to the case i can buy / order it thank you very much if you did! im told  you cant find another case that will fit this sunflower motherboard i hope they are wrong lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.