cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Bobs_dad
Level 1
3 2 1 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

hp pavilion p6-2035uk Hard drive upgrade

HP Recommended
hp pavilion p6-2035uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an hp pavilion p6-2035uk desktop pc and need to replace the 500gb hard drive with something larger. Can any one confirm the spec of the existing hard drive and recommend a replacement? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bobs_dad
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks Prométhée for your advice. Having taken a look at ssd’s online, they aren’t quite as expensive as at first thought. I can get a compatible 1T unit for less than £100. As the has windows 10 I think I can manage a full restore which should improve performance. I think I might add a further 4g of Memory whilst I have the  computer open. Cheers. 

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,058 40 105
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess you mean the C: boot drive ? (we can not know what is inside any PC, I must look inside first) or  run HWinfo32.exe

well the best upgrade is a new SSD 2.5" drive, with a 3.5" to 2.5" mount adapter.

not HDD. HDD are slow.

any drive you what will  work there, any media size to even 1 to 16TB (terabytes ) of formatted GPT.

there really is no known limits (exabytes, in year 3000 is limit,)?  

there are only 2 ways to replace any Boot drive.

1: clone it. (keeps data and apps)

2: load w10-64b fresh, from MS>  (lost data and apps) (but keep old HDD for data as a 2nd drive)

totally your call there.

NO warranty answers by me.
Bobs_dad
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your quick reply. That was helpful as I’m not too experienced with these things but an ssd as suggested seems to be the way forward. All appear to be at 2.5” so I’d need a 3.5” carrier? I can back up all data etc to an external hard drive and therefore would I need a boot disc to transfer the operating system? Thanks. 

Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
7,750 7,649 815 2,870
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
indeed, SSDs are small, you need an adapter to place it in a 3.5 compartment
You have several options
if your SSD has an equivalent capacity to the occupied space of your hard drive, you can use cloning software, often supplied with the SSD.
You can also do a full install, in order to have a brand new windows, sometimes it is better, but easier if you have upgraded to windows 10.
If you still have the original version it may be more complicated
In any case, it is better to save your personal data, you can erase the original hard drive to use it otherwise.

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem >

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button 
Warning
If you have to do certain manipulations, it is at your own risk, think carefully before acting!
If you don't think you can, get help, or go to a professional

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
happy New Year
Bobs_dad
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks Prométhée for your advice. Having taken a look at ssd’s online, they aren’t quite as expensive as at first thought. I can get a compatible 1T unit for less than £100. As the has windows 10 I think I can manage a full restore which should improve performance. I think I might add a further 4g of Memory whilst I have the  computer open. Cheers. 

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation