Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP6240f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

want to know if I can add memory to my desktop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP Pavilion p6240f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You can find the memory upgrade info on the above link.

You can install up to 4 x 2 GB of DDR3 memory in your model.

Looks like you are already at the max, according to the specs.

If you want to see if it may be possible to go beyond 8 GB of memory, you can run this command...

Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt with the command below.

It gives the final value in kilobytes which can be converted to gigabytes (divide the value by 1048576 to convert KB to GB).

Run the Command prompt app as administrator. 

Then run the following command.  You can copy and paste the line from here.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP Pavilion p6240f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You can find the memory upgrade info on the above link.

You can install up to 4 x 2 GB of DDR3 memory in your model.

Looks like you are already at the max, according to the specs.

If you want to see if it may be possible to go beyond 8 GB of memory, you can run this command...

Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt with the command below.

It gives the final value in kilobytes which can be converted to gigabytes (divide the value by 1048576 to convert KB to GB).

Run the Command prompt app as administrator. 

Then run the following command.  You can copy and paste the line from here.

HP Recommended

thank you paul...I'm going to ck this stuff.. I had a 2TB drive installed when I upgraded to windows 10...does that make a difference...with adding memory// thanks JK

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Ideally, you would want to be at 16 GB on a PC like yours, but it may not be possible,

8 GB is adequate though.

HP Recommended

how do I find out if I can add to make it 16...trial n error...or can HP help ...don't usually have much luck with them for info..thank you  JK

HP Recommended

Hi:

What did the command report you ran indicate?  8 or 16 GB?

HP will tell you 8 GB is the max, and will charge you to tell you that since your PC is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

it showed max capacity  memory devices...8388608  4

HP Recommended

OK, so the report indicates you are definitely at the max of 8 GB and cannot add more memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.