Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a300n
Other

i have an old a300n and it has no os on it. i want to load one but don't know if it is 32 or 64 bit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Some of the Linux versions were made to run on old equipment like that.  You can look around for one that look promising and try a live version.  There are many options available.  Depending on what you really are expecting to do with it once you find an OS, that might fill the needs.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That is a quite old system. HP support only has Windows XP drivers available here. The maximum RAM that the system can hold is 1 GB and it is a 32 bit system. So you would have to install XP as the system is too underpowered for something newer. Specs are here and the Intel site for the CPU is here. And if you are planning on using it for browsing the Web, which I do not recommend, remember that support for that OS ran out long ago which leaves the system wide open for virus and hacking attacks.

Unless you are just playing around with the system for something to do, it really is much too old for any type of daily use.

HP Recommended

Some of the Linux versions were made to run on old equipment like that.  You can look around for one that look promising and try a live version.  There are many options available.  Depending on what you really are expecting to do with it once you find an OS, that might fill the needs.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

That is exactly what I was planning to do with it. No my everyday machine is my  Lenovo laptop or my HP G7. This was just a challenge that someone gave to me. Thank you for the info.

HP Recommended

You are welcome,  Glad to help

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.