Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-112na Desktop PC

my question is, is there any proprietary parts on the omen 880 112na that would stop me from upgrading different parts of my PC.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05919758

another question is why is there very limited option when it comes to upgrading on the processor, the motherboard is a Tampa 2  board. this board is a z370 series board that is capable of holding more powerful CPU's. but below states that i can go through a i78700 which is currently installed to a i78700k which isn't a big improvement. im looking to upgrade the CPU to be more powerful as ive recently installed a NVIDIA rtx 3070 from a 1070 which was originally installed and dont want to recieve cpu to gpu bottlenecking.

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1151
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Integrated Graphics
    Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffeelake) 3.7 GHz, 6 Cores
    95 W
    Integrated HD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffeelake) 3.7 GHz, 6 Cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-8400 (Coffeelake) 2.8 GHz, 6 Cores
    65 W
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bill_To  as already said many times, I know this model quite well
It's not a mistake here!
Just that there have since been updates for this motherboard
and they have created several descriptive pages!
bios updates, do mention different new ones supported as they go

@Harrisonbaxter  could therefore install another processor than previously indicated

to see if it's worth it, the pc is starting to age a bit, and there probably won't be any other updates, adding a processor
although others might work if compatible

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Harrisonbaxter 

The MB is a standard uATX MB. There should be no proprietary stuff. Maybe front panel connections if moving the MB to a different case? Or proprietary RGB stuff.

The Z370 board limits CPU upgrade support to Intel 9th Gen but HP usually does not provide BIOS updates for this purpose. Check this Site for the latest BIOS update. The fixes don't show additional CPU support.

The 8700K may be your only upgrade path. The 8700K may yield up to a 10% performance gain. Can't say the cost is worth the gain in performance.

HP Recommended

hi

@Bill_To wrote:

Hi @Harrisonbaxter 

The MB is a standard uATX MB. There should be no proprietary stuff. Maybe front panel connections if moving the MB to a different case? Or proprietary RGB stuff.

The Z370 board limits CPU upgrade support to Intel 9th Gen but HP usually does not provide BIOS updates for this purpose. Check this Site for the latest BIOS update. The fixes don't show additional CPU support.

The 8700K may be your only upgrade path. The 8700K may yield up to a 10% performance gain. Can't say the cost is worth the gain in performance.

sorry but

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1151
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Integrated Graphics
    Intel Core i7-9700K (Coffee Lake R) 3.6 GHz, Octa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffee Lake) 3.2 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8600K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i5-8400 (Coffee Lake) 2.8 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • HP name: Tampa2
  • SSID: 8437

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 8437)

F.50 Rev.A9.4 MBJul 15, 2019Download

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.50 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Jul 15, 2019

File name:

sp97077.exe

(9.4 MB)

Description:

This package provides an update to the HP consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 8437) for supported models running a supported operating system

Fix and enhancements:

1.The first 19H1 softroll production BIOS.
2.Added the supports for Intel CFL-R I7-9700K/I5-9400F/I7-9700F processors.
3.Added the supports for Intel CFL-R processors(R-0 Stepping) + Optane combination.
4.Provides improved security.

F.42 Rev.A9.2 MBApr 26, 2019Download

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.42 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Apr 26, 2019

File name:

sp95910.exe

(9.2 MB)

Description:

This package provides an update to the HP consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 8437) for supported models running a supported operating system

Fix and enhancements:

-Added the support for Intel CFL i7-9700 processor

F.30 Rev.A9.3 MBSep 11, 2018Download

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.30 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Sep 11, 2018

File name:

sp91906.exe

(9.3 MB)

Description:

Fix and enhancements:

-Added the support for Intel I7-9700K processor

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-would-like-to-upgrade-my-OMEN...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

Two for two in the error category.

Thanks to all for pointing out my error. I should have gone to sleep earlier!

However, the PC specs don't align with the motherboard specs so this is a HP problem. It is interesting this was not pointed out in this thread.

@Harrisonbaxter check this Site for a 9700K vs 8700 comparison. Or this Link comparing a 9700K to a 8700K.

HP Recommended

@Bill_To  as already said many times, I know this model quite well
It's not a mistake here!
Just that there have since been updates for this motherboard
and they have created several descriptive pages!
bios updates, do mention different new ones supported as they go

@Harrisonbaxter  could therefore install another processor than previously indicated

to see if it's worth it, the pc is starting to age a bit, and there probably won't be any other updates, adding a processor
although others might work if compatible

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.