Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP-m01-f0033w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

hey all i bought this pc on assumption that hp rep at my local store said i can upgrade the pcu as i want to put low profile graphics card if possible in it or upgrade to 32 gigs of ram like states it can handle and possibly ryzen 5 or 7 what are my options thanks looks like power supply uses 4 pin but im not sure

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The spec page for the motherboard indicates the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 3.7 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, Quad core (Picasso) to be the Ryzen 5 choice.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-desktop-pc-m01-f0000a/38096274/model/35801251/document/c0641...

That would also upgrade the graphics as it is part of the CPU.

No Ryzen 7 options.

The spec page for the whole PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-desktop-pc-m01-f0000a/38096274/model/35801251/document/c0669...

For the memory, it states it can support 2 - 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thanks for reply i seen that i also seen it supports 32 gig unbufferd ram to should i go with that if im going to use vega graphics 

HP Recommended

Believe it or not the PSU in all HP desktop computers is more than adequate. It may seem anemic in comparison to the numbers "recommended" by the graphics card vendors, but rest assured the stock PSU is adequate and good quality.

The reason HP and other manufacturers offer lower wattage PSU is for efficiency. It is more efficient to run a 300W PSU at 90% load than to run a 500W PSU at 55% load. This example is not intended to demonstrate actual usage but is intended to show relationship of efficiency. Efficiency is important when running 25 to 50 to 500 desktops in a work or class environment. 

This is why they are designed as they are and of high quality for trouble free use. 

The rep who sold you your computer did not lie but as many sales people do, did not tell you the whole truth. HP desktops require a proprietary adapter to allow a "generic" PSU to operate within the HP motherboard environment. The design is intentional and not meant to frustrate the customer but to prevent accidents which could damage the entire unit or worse cause a fire. HP is not the only company to do this. 

Memory minimum, maximum, and standards for your specific model are outlined in your HP support documents. 

Enjoy!

HP Recommended

thanks for reply i appreciate it im happy with my pc purchase i just want to make it last as only games i play are older ones and low spec ones such as world of warcraft but ive read  that vega graphics eats ram when i look at spec sheet for my pc it says 16 gig supported and then says 32 gigs supported unbuffered which would be smarter to go with thanks i never knew there was difference in ram lol

HP Recommended

The old adage about RAM was you can not have too much is no longer true. 

Non gamer 8GB is plenty

Gamer 16GB is plenty

Artist, Video, Engineer 32GB is plenty

Of course there are extremes in both directions but above is a rule of thumb.

If there are two DIMM slots then 16GB would be max size per slot with a maximum support for 32Gb

Have fun with your new computer!

HP Recommended

@gordonjr06,

The HP M01 series can use a full height graphic card.  The PSU is actually a proprietary design, and has two 2x2 power plug (main power and CPU power), and an inline 7 pin stated as Fan power.  All power for DVD or hard drive (3.5 or 2.5) is supplied from the motherboard.  You can not adapt an ATX PSU to work with those units.  It is a fire hazard according to HP.  Others attempted it,, and there was 2 major issues. The adapted PSU refused to start via the power button, and shutdown was not enabled. The OP had to pull the power cord.  That discussion has been flagged.

Your unit has the Erica2 motherboard.  There are no pictures of the Erica or Erica2, or Milton boards.  I was able to get some pictures of the Baker board, so now I can describe it in an article.  Do you think you can do that for the Erica2  ??

Here is my spreadsheet on these issues. Your HP M01 series is there. Little is known about that series. Here is what I have:

Shows hard drive placement   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNvwjw5Tpj4

Removing drive cage for access   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXWuTjthKss

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.