Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@glennga

If you don't answer questions then assistance will stop.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Nothing in the documentation states that the m.2 NVMe SSD is the correct one.  I'm not going out to buy another one until there is proof that it will work. I'm hoping someone else will buy one, put it in, and postively state that the m.2 NVMe SSD works in the 580-137c.

HP Recommended

I just installed a Samsung EVO 960 256 gb NMVe drive. I updated to the latest BIOS first. I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on an 8GB USB flash drive to install Windows fresh to the SSD. Works great.

HP Recommended

I just installed a Samsung EVO 960 256 gb NMVe drive. I updated to the latest BIOS first. I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on an 8GB USB flash drive to install Windows fresh to the SSD. Works great.

HP Recommended
Thank you for the confirmation.
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave wrote:

@voyager128

Update the diagnostics from the same support server and run a set to make sure that the PC is stable being doing the BIOS update. This will also make sure that you have the latest firmware management software installed.

You might try running the HP Support Assistant and see if it discovers a BIOS update. If not, then right mouse click on the downloaded BIOS update exe and select run as administrator.

I updated the BIOS to version F.05 via the HP Support Assistant, then went into the BIOS, but was unable to see the M.2 NVMe (or otherwise) slot.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or not looking in the right place.  Can you guide me as to which menu/submenu in the BIOS contains the information on the M.2 slots?

HP Recommended

There's nothing to see in the BIOS until you have the NVMe card installed properly into the M.2 slot. It will appear under the list of storage devices. 

HP Recommended

@lavitsky wrote:

There's nothing to see in the BIOS until you have the NVMe card installed properly into the M.2 slot. It will appear under the list of storage devices. 

lavitsky, thanks for that clarification.  My intent was to verify that I can see the M.2 slots show up (even as empty or unused) before I purchase a M.2 NVMe SSD (probably a Samsung 960 EVO).  But I guess I will have to just trust that things will work out and the 960 EVO will be recognized 🙂

HP Recommended

@lavitsky wrote:

lavistsky,  I just opened my case to look at the M.2 slot(s) on the motherboard.  From the photos of the Basswood motherboard here at the HP site, it looks like there should be two M.2 slots: one Key-A and one Key-M.  However, I discovered my motherboard has only one M.2 slot labeled "M2_2280".  I know the "2280" refers to the form factor, but it does not say anything about whether it is Key-A or Key-M.  Is your motherboard the same, with only one M.2 slot labeled "M2_2280"?   If so and you installed the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD in it and it's working, then my motherboard should also take the 960 EVO too.

HP Recommended

Refer to the picture of the motherboard here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05634309

The SSD connector is the Key M slot, marked for SSD in the lower right corner of the photo and can handle the large 2280 form factor SSD cards (22mm wide, 80mm long). The other M.2 slot is for the WiFi module, which was already installed in the unit we got from Costco.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.