Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming desktop TG01-0170m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed an SSD to my PC but it runs about twice slower than it is supposed to.

It seems the cause is a PCIe link width. It should be x4 as it stated in the motherboard (Erica2 8643, B550 chipset) and the SSD specs. HWiNFO64 reports that Maximum Link Width is x4 but Current Link Width is x2. I have tried two different models of SSDs: HP EX950 and Sabrent Rocket 4.0 with the same results.

It looks like the issue is at the motherboard side. BIOS version is F.11.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I have seen this issue on some predecessor 500 series and 600 series HP consumer PCs.

HP is limiting M.2 data to two PCIe lanes instead of four lanes.

Did you check the BIOS for a setting to bump up to X4? No BIOS setting may mean you are locked at X2.

The latest BIOS is F.11 Rev. A (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

The bad thing is, that HP every writes x4 for the slot and nowhere is notived that they limit it to x2.

There is no setting in bios. 

Daniel
HP Recommended

So HP publishes fake specifications? That is interesting. 

It would be good to know what HP Legal Department is thinking about such actions?

HP Recommended

In my opinion, yes.   Ands the worst is that there is no one from HP and so on who is caring about it for months. No BIOS Update for this, nothing. 

Daniel
HP Recommended

Really bad that no one from HP dirctly is looking here forward to give an answer. 

Daniel
HP Recommended

@JohnB15: Did you find a solution to get 4 lanes? Or did you sell the computer? 🙂

Daniel
HP Recommended

With Gen4 SSD it provides 3.5GB/s that is an acceptable speed. Next time I would not buy a prebuilt PC. It is better to assemble it by yourself. Less stresses 🙂

HP Recommended

It's good to know which ones did you buy? In the meantime, I am writing everywhere on the Internet and at online shops for these HP devices that they only run with 2 lanes. It annoys me that HP writes x4 everywhere  and does nothing about it. I really hope that my bad reviews everywhere will decrease their selling. 

Daniel
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is this really a problem in everyday use?

I can't tell the difference between a SATA SSD versus a PCIe SSD in normal use.

Benchmarks can drive you up the wall. Faster read/write speeds do affect specific applications but normal, everyday use does not apply.

This issue is not a deal breaker when using a PC.

The M.2 socket is capable of providing four PCIe lanes to the socket (no law suit there). HP has limited data throughput to two PCIe lanes. Motherboard manufacturers can do whatever they want.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.