cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Calieah
5 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

migrating HDD to SSD

HP Recommended
Pavilion p6650Z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm upgrading the hard drive on my desktop PC to a Crucial MX500 SSD. After some trials and errors, I managed to use Acronis True Image to clone the first 3 partitions (System, OS, and an unnamed recovery partition) as well as copy the MBR file, but the clone process on the final partition "HP Recovery" errored out and left about 10GB unallocated on the SSD. Based on my research, the "HP Recovery" partition isn't needed to run the system, so I plugged in the SSD in place of the HDD and it successfully booted up. Now I'm trying to figure out how to complete the migration process. A few questions for the knowledgeable experts on this forum:

1. Should I still try to restore "HP Recovery" to the SSD? If not, can I move the "HP Recovery" partition off of the old hard drive altogether? My understanding is that "HP Recovery" would basically enable a factory restore, but I've noticed the file size increase over the years, which makes me wonder if it's still being updated along the way?
  2. What I would like to do now is to turn the old hard drive into a data storage drive. When I tried to plug in both the SSD (SATA 0) and HDD (SATA 1), even though I checked the BIOS boot order to make sure the SSD was listed first, the PC booted up with the HDD as the C: drive, which doesn't make sense to me. Is there something else I need to do with the HDD so that it would no longer be bootable?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,333 18,959 2,930 9,356
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Calieah , welcome to the Community.  You are welcome!

1) Should I still try to restore "HP Recovery" to the SSD? If not, can I move the "HP Recovery" partition off of the old hard drive altogether? My understanding is that "HP Recovery" would basically enable a factory restore, but I've noticed the file size increase over the years, which makes me wonder if it's still being updated along the way?  This is entirely up to you.  Personally, I would try to move it.  I am not certain that it will be possible.  It should have been cloned with the other data.  It could be because of the age of your computer.  This is strange, however.

2) What I would like to do now is to turn the old hard drive into a data storage drive. When I tried to plug in both the SSD (SATA 0) and HDD (SATA 1), even though I checked the BIOS boot order to make sure the SSD was listed first, the PC booted up with the HDD as the C: drive, which doesn't make sense to me. Is there something else I need to do with the HDD so that it would no longer be bootable?  I suggest that you disconnect the HDD from the motherboard and connect the SSD to SATA 1.  Then, you should boot the system to make certain that the SSD is working properly.  My first thought is it is not working properly.  When you know that it is working properly, you can enter the BIOS and set it to the first boot again.  Shut down the computer and connect the HDD to SATA 0.     

Thanks in advance!

Once you get the system to run you can change the drive letter to D:/ on the HDD in Disk Management and use it for storage.  I normally leave the OS in place to use in emergencies.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation