Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

HP Envy 700-406
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I bought a new video card for my Envy because I wasn't using the Envy because its integrated GPUs were incompatible with some of my graphic software (ie - Substance Painter).

I bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti from Newegg.  Not returnable.  I bought the dual port because it didn't get as hot and the wires were easier to attach.  Problem is that it doesn't look like a dual port will work on this machine.  I spaced out asking at HP first.

I don't want to open my video package in case I can replace or exchange it.  I'd like to know if a dual port vid card will work with my Envy model 700-406 and if not, then which single slot 1050 Ti will work.  All the single port video cards I looked at were very long and butted up against the memory card slots.  Is that a decent one that will let me use Substance Painter?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,039
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

Hi,

Open up your PC and do some measuring inside and make sure that the graphics card will fit.  While your PC is open read the label on the power supply. The minimum requirement is 300 watts for a NVIDIA GTX 1050TI but some models require an auxiliary 6 pin power connect which is not provisioned with the typical HP 300 watt power supply.

You need to check with your applications software manufacturer and make 100% sure that the graphics card that you are buying will work and perform up to your expectations. Substance Painter2 recommends a 4GB graphics card.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

Hi Big Dave, the card that I bought is a 4GB and should fit into my computer PCIE x16 slot and have plenty of room.  It shouldn't crowd any of the other components size wise.  The problem is that it is a dual port card.  I need to know if an HP Envy 700-406 can accomodate a dual port card.

You are correct about possibly needing an auxilliary 6 pin power connect.  I thought about getting an adapter if I need it.

The back of my Envy looks to have 4 single port openings.  That makes no sense to me as a machine like this should shave dual port capabilities. 

If the HP Envy can only handle single port video cards then I need to try and return this for a single port card.  They are longer (7" - 11")and run hotter.   If I need to return it I didn't want to have opened it first so I was asking here if anyone knew if I can use the dual port card with my Envy.

If not, what other 1050 Ti will fit into my case.

The reason that I bought another HP is that I purchased a Pavillion 8 years ago with an NVidia card and I love this thing.  It continues to run but it's on its last leg.  It will run Substance Painter but very slowly.  The Envy will run it but it produces black images which are useless.

I really need a card for my Envy.  Why do they always integrate the video cards?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

Hi,

This EVGA GTX 1050 TI is a smaller card and it should work with a 300 watt power supply.

I don't see any reason why the NVIDIA GTX 1050TI wouldn't support two monitors.  All of the NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI graphics card will support multipe monitors.  The graphics card mentioned above is spec'd for three monitors.  Watch the overall resolution between the two monitors so that you don't exceed the frame buffer size of 4GB.

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

H Big Dave, I appreciate you trying to help me.  The card that you link is the one that I thought I had purchased but I somehow bought the superclocked one.

I'm not interested in two monitors.  If you look at the link to the card you supplied you'll see in one of the smaller images that it is a dual port card.  I  need to know if it being a dual port will it work with my HP Envy case.   The back of my case doesn't seem to open up to allow a dual port.  I need to know if it will work or not.

Maybe the word 'port' is incorrect?  I'm talking about where you attach the monitor to the back of the card.  The back of my computer case seems to only have 4 single openings.  I don't know if it will work as is or not.  I was hoping that HP could tell me.

Thanks, Nancy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

@NGartplay

Hi Nancy,

You will need to remove one of the semi-permanent I/O slot plates in order to get a double width graphics card to fit.  Look carefully at the below image and you will see a screwdriver symbol. Put a screwdriver in the narrow slot and move the screwdriver back and forth until the I/O plate comes loose. At some point you may need to use a pliers to make the final removal.  This HP Upgrading and Servicing Manual may also be helpful.

ENVY 700-400 expansion slots.jpg

If you are not comfortable with the installation procedures then perhaps a competent local PC repair shop would be an option. HP Part Surfer does sell low wattage single width graphics card for similar models so that might be another option for you but I doubt these cards have 4 GB frame buffer.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

Hey Dave, I've already removed the semi-permanent slot plate.  My computer is open and laying on its side.  It was the remaining divider strip that concerned me.  I thought that the dual port card might not fit because of it.

I've only installed single slot video cards in the past.  Partly why I have so many questions about the dual slot card.  I'm going to go ahead and open my card package since they probably would not let me return it anyway.  If needed I had hoped that they might allow me to swap it for another card but they probably wouldn't have.

Not a very expensive card so it's not the end of the world but I still need a graphics card that will run my programs.  I really did not want to have to have a computer built for me but I may have to if this doesn't work.

Thanks for all the assistance and I'll let you know how it goes with the card.

Waves, Nancy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new video card question

Just to update, the card did fit into the case after I convinced it to.  I need to buy a new monitor and connection for it.  I only have one monitor with the needed connection capabilities and it's being used on another computer.

This card does not have any connections to the power supply.  I can't find anywhere on the card that there are plug outlets.  I had another person check and they didn't see any either so I closed up the case and will finish installing when I buy a new monitor.

Thanks for the hand holding.  I'm an anxious person and I needed that.

Cheers, Nancy

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation