Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion model 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading my HP pavilion 690-0024 desktop GPU to the sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt I have observed some minor bottlenecking from the CPU and I am looking at upgrading to the amd ryzen 5 2600 and either overclocking it or see if the amd ryzen 5 2600x is compatible to the sunflower motherboard? Ideally we would like to install the Ryzen 5 3600 but as I understand the sunflower motherboard is not compatible with Ryzen's 3rd generation CPU's.

Also I wanted to ask if I do need to update the power supply to 500 watts that the only option would be the HP 500 watt power supply model number L05757-800? I have tried to look up this model number on the HP store but cannot locate it by using this part number. Is there a different model number or name that I can look up to find this PSU on the HP website? 

Thanks again for your support

Gary

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@gg63 , welcome back to the Community.

@gg63 wrote:

After upgrading my HP pavilion 690-0024 desktop GPU to the sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt I have observed some minor bottlenecking from the CPU and I am looking at upgrading to the amd ryzen 5 2600 and either overclocking it or see if the amd ryzen 5 2600x is compatible to the sunflower motherboard? Ideally we would like to install the Ryzen 5 3600 but as I understand the sunflower motherboard is not compatible with Ryzen's 3rd generation CPU's.

Also I wanted to ask if I do need to update the power supply to 500 watts that the only option would be the HP 500 watt power supply model number L05757-800? I have tried to look up this model number on the HP store but cannot locate it by using this part number. Is there a different model number or name that I can look up to find this PSU on the HP website? 

Thanks again for your support

Gary

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/model/22909853...

If you look at the section titled "Processor/Processor upgrade information" there is a list of compatible processors.  The Ryzen 7 2700 is the fastest processor that is compatible with the motherboard.  Here is an article on Tom's Hardware about overclocking the 2700: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-7-2700-2700x-review,5606-2.html

Also, here is the L05757-800 PSU in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=L05757-800

You can select the box next to "Add to Cart" to order it.  This is the only information that is available for it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. I just tried to send a post but it appears to not have posted so i will resend my message. This maybe a silly question but I wanted to ask if it would be possible to replace the sunflower motherboard with a newer HP pavilion desktop such as the HP TG01-0030 model that has the Erica motherboard ssid 8643 which does support the Ryzen 5 3500? I know this is a slightly different case so I am not sure if it is compatible, 

Also I wanted to ask if we did get the 500 watt power supply if our current motherboard would support a slightly higher wattage CPU such as the Ryzen 5 2600x that is listed at 95 watts. I know this is not on the list of compatible CPU's but it is identical the the Ryzen 5 2600 but has been overclocked by AMD with a larger cooler. 

Thanks again for all your support and I apologize  for resending this message if my earlier post does end up going through

Gary

HP Recommended

@gg63 

There are no silly questions asked in this Community.  Every question is considered to be very important.  I always say that the only silly question is the one that isn't asked!! 😉

The answer to your first question is, I don't know if it would work.  If you look at the case/chassis on the exterior, there appears to be more ports available: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-0000a/37874510/model/3112823...

The main thing that you would have to consider are the holes in the motherboard matching the stand-offs in the case.  Also, would the front case connectors be the same.

The answer to your second question is, it isn't the power necessarily that is limiting the processor that can run in the motherboard.  HP engineers their boards to work with certain components and tests them to assure they are compatible.  Any other components would most likely not work under any circumstances.

I know these answers are not what you wanted to hear, but I have to go with the information that HP provides.  If I recommend a component that doesn't work, you will be upset with me, but most importantly, with HP.  I can't allow this to happen.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply back. I did look up the compatible list of the Ryzen 3rd generation series for the erica motherboard and it does not list specifically list the Ryzen 5 3600 so it may not be compatible even if we switched motherboards? If it is compatible then one other possible option might be to get both the erica motherboard along with the complete case for the TG01 series? I am not sure if it is possible to purchase both directly from HP? This would also require that it has all the same connectors and slots, drives, GPU power supply etc. so that everything can be transferred to the new case.

I did also update the latest bios for our 690 series model with the Dec 2020 date. I can also send my desktop to a local computer servicing company and they can for about 50 dollars open the case and install a Ryzen 3rd generation series just incase there is a remote chance it will recognize the newer CPU. 

Even though I understand that HP does need to sell new gaming desktop units I do believe it would be great idea for them to update there motherboards to allow for some degree of upgradability to slightly newer CPU's, especially if it is easily done. I know some other manufacturers do do this. This is only my input.

Thanks again for all the support and talk soon

Gary

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gg63!  It is my pleasure helping you.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did pick up a Ryzen 5 3600 and tested it. Unfortunately it was not compatible with my system and would not boot up.  I will return it to Best Buy. On doing some further research on the amd ryzen 7 2700 and overclocking it, even though it pretty much matches the 2700x it also will use more wattage than the stock version. In looking at the actual power usage of the ryzen 5 2600x and the ryzen 7 2700 stock the differences are less the 10 watts of usage while under 200 watts for the entire PC . The actual wattage used in gaming is actually less than the ryzen 2700 before overclocking. During demanding gaming it also shows that the actual wattage usage of the ryzen 5 2600x would be 6 to 7 watts less even though it list its TDP of 95 watts. I will pick up  a ryzen 5 2600x to see how it performs. I will also upgrade to the HP 500 watt power supply.  Once I find out the results I will follow up with a message. 

Thanks

Gary

HP Recommended

I wanted to follow up my my upgrades for our HP 690-0024 desktop. I was able to install the Ryzen 5 2600x with no issues. To improve CPU cooling since it has a TDP of 95 watts. I used the aftermarket Noctua NH-L9 x 65 low profile air cooler. Some people have mentioned the need to remove the motherboard and replace the backplate. This is not necessary since all you need to do is buy four M3 screws about 12 mm in length and use the existing hardware to install the cooler. I also upgraded the fan on the CPU cooler to a noctua NF-A9 (92 mm x 25 mm) fan which is larger and provides improved cooling. In addition I cut three 3.5 inch diameter holes in the case cover. One hole was cut in the middle  between the CPU and GPU where I added an additional NF-A9 noctua 92 mm fan on the outside of the case. Noctua has a Y adapter so you can install two fans on one motherboard connector. I did have an issue with using Ryzen Master to adjust the memory speed and I do not recommend going above the maximum allowed RAM speed for the motherboard of 2666 mhz. I needed to reinstall the latest HP BIOS in order to reboot the computer.  You can adjust the memory speed in Ryzen Master to 2666 mhz . 

After setting everything up the results have been great and we have had no issues using the Ryzen 5 2600x along with the GPU sapphire pulse radeon RX 5600 XT BE (short version which fits nicely into the case). I even was able to overclock the GPU using amd adrenalin software, to a1816 mhz GPU clock speed and increased the GPU memory to 1840 mhz on my card and have it  stable. I undervolted my GPU to 916 mV for the top range. By undervolting the GPU I was able to maintain the same temperatures even though the GPU runs faster. I ran both  GPU and CPU stress tests and had no issues. More importantly both the GPU and CPU run much cooler with the added ventilation and additional exterior 92 mm case fan. During very demanding games the CPU runs in the low to mid 60's C with a peak around 70 c and the GPU core temperature are maintained in the 60's C with a peak junction temperature of 82 C. Even while running a severe CPU stress test with all 6 cores running a 100 percent the temperature rose to a  maximum of 84 C.  I am still waiting to upgrade the HP 500 watt power supply since it appears to be backordered. I am sure we are on the edge of the required power needed with our current 400 watt PSU we but have not had any shutdowns yet. I think this maybe the best combination for the AMD sunflower motherboard to increase both the CPU and GPU performance. We have been able to run very demanding games on our computer with an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor with the FPS above 60 up and up to the low 100's. This is in high to ultra settings depending on the game. I hope this helps.

thanks 

Gary

HP Recommended

Thank you for the excellent update, @gg63!  We appreciate the information.

HP Recommended

Your are welcome and thank you so much for all your technical support in working through our upgrade. Hopefully we will get the new HP 500 watt PSU in the next few days. I did not mention this in the last massage but I made the mistake of trying to overclock the RAM memory speed to 3000 mhz through Ryzen Master and I then had serious issues with the computer not wanting to boot up. The only way I could fix it was to take out the motherboard CMOS battery to reset everything. After this it did boot up and then I downloaded the latest HP bios. Once I did this it worked fine with no issues. I then only increased the RAM memory speed through Ryzen Master to the specified limit of 2666 mhz, or 1333 on the Ryzen Master software since you need to double this for the actual speed. I would not recommend that anyone overclock the RAM to anything other than what HP supports. This was the lesson that I learned and I am thankful I did not brick the computer.  If anyone needs any specifics on any of the parts that I purchased to improve that cooling performance of the case and improve the operating temperatures of both the CPU and GPU, I am more than happy to send it. I am not sure if I can send pictures of the case modification but after using a 3.5 inch diameter hole saw for cutting the three holes and using 92 mm fan dust covers along with a metal grill cover for the Noctua 92 mm intake fan for the case , it was simple and looks very good. All the parts are available on amazon and are  very inexpensive.

Thanks again for everything

Gary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.