Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My boot block date is 3-6-2013 and I have the j61 3.95 bios.  With that update can I have more options with the Xeon e5 v2 processors as long as they have the same wattage or lower? Also, I noticed that some of the higher core CPUs are lower in core speed. Is there a reason for that? I would think that a higher speed will yield better results. I have the default 1620v2

Above The Firehouse
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Please see pages 3 & 4 in the link below for compatible CPU's;

http://brandexim.com/price/pdf/HP_z420_Workstation_QuickSpecs_Jun-2015.pdf 

Where a v2 CPU is listed then the v0/v1 CPU version will work, e.g. E5-1650 and E5-1650v2 are both supported. CPU's not listed in the quickspecs are not supported and in most cases, the computer will not boot if one is installed.

1.The more cores running in a CPU, the hotter the CPU will get as will it's TDP.

2. The faster the CPU clock speed (single-core or multi-core), the hotter the CPU will get.

Because of the above, there is always a compromise between the number of CPU cores and it's maximum clock speed. Adding more cores to a CPU increases the density of the electrical circuits on the CPU making it more difficult for the CPU to dissipate the heat generated. Having fewer cores allows the electrical circuits on the CPU to be spaced further apart which helps heat dissipation and permits higher clock speeds.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

I figured there would be more supported with a newer boot block date as long as it uses the same 130w or less and the spec sheet is outdated from the newer bios updates? Im looking at the 1680 with a different fan.

Above The Firehouse
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.