Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

it's a 

HP Pavilion 590-p0063na

just would like help knowing what things to look out for to make sure my 8 gb upgrade (it's already got 8 gb) - works - and fits properly when buying from somewhere like ebuyer.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

it's generally not recommended to mix and match different types of RAM due to potential incompatibility. Your current 8gb stick is running at 2666mhz. If you were to buy a 3000mhz (for example) stick, the speed would be downgraded to (at best) match the 2666 speed. At worst both of them could end up at an even slower speed, but it's near impossible to say for sure. As far as how much actual different it would make in real world performance, that is up for debate. 

My recommendation would be to get a kit of 8x2gb sticks, that way you know they are compatible with each other. The next potential issue is making sure they are compatible with your motherboard. Generally a kit of 3000 or 3200mhz at a reasonable price (around $70-$80 on sale) is a fairly safe bet.  

Next, take your existing 8gb single DIMM and sell it to recoup some of the money spent on the 16gb kit.

If you want a specific recommendation I know several people with intel processors who like the g.skill ripjaws V model. I often see 16gb kits on sale for around $75 shipped on newegg. 

best of luck!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

it's generally not recommended to mix and match different types of RAM due to potential incompatibility. Your current 8gb stick is running at 2666mhz. If you were to buy a 3000mhz (for example) stick, the speed would be downgraded to (at best) match the 2666 speed. At worst both of them could end up at an even slower speed, but it's near impossible to say for sure. As far as how much actual different it would make in real world performance, that is up for debate. 

My recommendation would be to get a kit of 8x2gb sticks, that way you know they are compatible with each other. The next potential issue is making sure they are compatible with your motherboard. Generally a kit of 3000 or 3200mhz at a reasonable price (around $70-$80 on sale) is a fairly safe bet.  

Next, take your existing 8gb single DIMM and sell it to recoup some of the money spent on the 16gb kit.

If you want a specific recommendation I know several people with intel processors who like the g.skill ripjaws V model. I often see 16gb kits on sale for around $75 shipped on newegg. 

best of luck!

HP Recommended

Hello
this is your computer

HP Pavilion 590-p0063na Product Specifications

it says this,

8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

but it remains to be checked, there are sometimes changes / errors, between what is in the doc and in reality

the motherboard

motherboard specifications, Lincs

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-21300 (DDR4 2666)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (with two 16 GB modules) and 16 GB (with two 8 GB modules) on 64-bit computers
    note:
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

If the pc is already equipped with an 8 GB module, no need to spend immediately on two modules
If you find an identical module it can work very well!
If by bad luck it does not work with both, you can very well buy the same model found, if it is compatible

Sometimes this site can help (scanning system) you can search for other sites of this type, this is an example!

Welcome to Crucial USA

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.