Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I

replaced the RAM on my HP Touchsmart 520 and now there is no display.

279AB55F-EAED-4AE6-9BD5-8E32F0AA2E86.jpeg

F543896C-E2E9-47AC-A4FB-6C04B6DB392D.jpeg

I upgraded the RAM on my HP Touchsmart 520 from 4GB (2 slots of 2 gb each) to 8 gb ( 4 gb in each slot) along with replacing the CR2032 battery with a lithium 2032BP-6and now there is no display.

Both memory cards, along with the battery, clicked into the slots;  with tabs going into locked position. I turned off the computer, disconnected the power cord,  and removed the wireless mouse adapter but there was no visible adaptor for the wireless keyboard so I presume it is internal.

After installation of new RAM, I replaced the covers and reconnected everything. I hear the pc booting up, but there is only a black screen. The two memory cards came from Crucible and attached is pics of same. Also is pic after new cards and battery installed.

Any help in why display is black?

IMG_3044.heic

IMG_3039.heic

•  
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Ontrack123 -- does your computer work if you revert to the previous RAM?

Did you use the "configurator" software on Crucial's web-site, to tell you the maximum amount of RAM that your motherboard supports?  And, did you pick one of the "recommended" sticks of Crucial RAM.

What are the specifications (speed? density? single-sided? double-sided?  for the old RAM, and for the new RAM?

When you power-on your computer, do you hear a pattern of "beeps"?

Or, do you see the lamps on your keyboard lighting-up in a repeated pattern?

What happens if only one stick of the new RAM is installed?

What is the exact model-number of your TouchSmart?

removed the wireless mouse adapter but there was no visible adaptor for the wireless keyboard

Perhaps, that one adapter services both devices?

HP Recommended

hi

@Ontrack123 

Everything is here ?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade/td-p/8253110
is that what you validated, your answer?

check if it is what you have originally

https://www.amazon.fr/Portable-Elpida-EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F-PC3-10600S-1333MHz/dp/B01DC9LPV8

Fabricant : Elpida
P/N : EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F
Puce : Elpida
Type de Module : SODIMM DDR3 SDRAM
Type de Bus : PC3-10600S
Fréquence : 1333MHz
Densité : 2Go
Disposition Physique : Double Face SODIMM

Latence CAS : CL9
Voltage : 1.5v

and what was indicated to you by the other user

but I advise you if it is not the same at crucial, to use the same type of module

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I needed help before christmas on what type of memory to buy to upgrade the RAM on my hp Touchsmart. I received the info and ordered directly from Crucible. And marked problem solved. But after installing the two memory card, the display no longer works and I need a solution. Attached is the pic of the two cards I purchased. Do you now why the display screen is black? 

7F48E654-7011-4B24-A0F0-2CF2BA7A36EF.jpeg

HP Recommended

The wireless mouse was added two years ago, and so I installed the wireless adapter so pretty sure not shared with wireless keyboard. 
specs for new ram I received from hp community and then also cross checked on crucible site. See attached pic that shows packaging for new ram and pics of old ram. 

only thing off was that hp community said I needed 200 pins but there was no reference on Crucible website for specs listing the number of pins

I also replaced the battery

347BBE75-2EA8-4477-B7C1-5FF0AB56F248.jpeg

• 1839A1EA-6C02-459D-A4B8-B518E4B5EA4E.jpeg

436D1AC3-1AC2-4CCF-86CF-59FFFC169E17.jpeg

HP touchsmart pavilion model 520-1020

Intel pentium CPU G620@2.60GHz

4.0 GB installed memory RAM

64 Bit operating system

Pen and touch -available with 2 touch points

Windows

Product ID 00350-OEM-8992687-00010

HP Recommended

@Ontrack123 -- only thing off was that hp community said I needed 200 pins but there was no reference on Crucible website for specs listing the number of pins

The community is correct. All "SODIMM" sticks of "PC3" RAM have 200 pins, while "desktop" RAM has more pins.

Your image is of an SODIMM. 

The CRUCIAL web-site is correct -- the only RAM that fits into your motherboard has the 200-pin SODIMM format. 

HP Recommended

@Ontrack123 -- your image of the ELPIDA RAM does not show "DDR3L" -- low-voltage (1.35 V). Presumably, it is 1.5 V RAM.

Your image of the CRUCIAL RAM does show "DDR3L".

So, it is possible that the motherboard is not compatible with "low-voltage" RAM.

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

hi

@Ontrack123 

Everything is here ?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade/td-p/8253110
is that what you validated, your answer?

check if it is what you have originally

https://www.amazon.fr/Portable-Elpida-EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F-PC3-10600S-1333MHz/dp/B01DC9LPV8

Fabricant : Elpida
P/N : EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F
Puce : Elpida
Type de Module : SODIMM DDR3 SDRAM
Type de Bus : PC3-10600S
Fréquence : 1333MHz
Densité : 2Go
Disposition Physique : Double Face SODIMM

Latence CAS : CL9
Voltage : 1.5v

and what was indicated to you by the other user

but I advise you if it is not the same at crucial, to use the same type of module

I replied to you @Ontrack123 

check, your new modules one after another
but if that doesn't work it's because they are certainly incompatible
Test, a new module, works or not
then test the second, new, works or not
if both do not work, replace an original one
works, the new ones are incompatible
Buy the same part number as shown

check with cpuz , the original characteristics can help you too

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
where rather than making a mistake again, if you are afraid of this, go to a professional

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes beeps and I reinstalled old memory to see if display will

come

on

and the monitor is still blank. Pc was working before the memory was disconnected and reinstalled.

HP Recommended

Not good
have you tried the two old ones, in each slot?
There if nothing works, you may have a serious problem following the replacement

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.