Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN X by HP Desktop PC - 900-260xe Product number: 2SS03AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I now need a little more room for my primary M.2 hardrive and was thinking about the new-gen 4 drives but can't find out if it is compatible.  I wouldn't want to spend the money on a gen 4, and I only experience a 25% increase in performance.  The gen 4's have a read speed of 7,000 MBS.  I have been looking can't find the info. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  My model number is,

OMEN X by HP Desktop PC - 900-260xe Product number: 2SS03AV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your motherboard (Link) has a Intel X299 chipset, also known as Basin Falls.

The specifications for this chipset can be reviewed here (Link). 

PCIe support is revision 3.0.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can install a Gen 4 M.2 drive but your chipset (Intel) is limited to PCIe 3.0.

Data transfer will not exceed the maximum rate PCIe 3.0 allows due to the chipset and processor.

So a different M.2 drive may move data faster than you see now but it can't exceed motherboard limitations. You are stuck at PCIe 3.0 data transfer rates.

Regards

HP Recommended

That's sad because it's not that old. May I ask where did you find that information?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your motherboard (Link) has a Intel X299 chipset, also known as Basin Falls.

The specifications for this chipset can be reviewed here (Link). 

PCIe support is revision 3.0.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.