Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitedesk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Elite Desk has 4G of RAM.  I wanted to add 4G more.  I installed 1 stick (1x4G) of RAM but Windows did not recognize it.  The BIOS prompted me that there was a RAM change.  I used CPU-Z to look at the RAM and it showed both 4G (DDR-4) sticks in the proper slots.   I looked under System Properties and in Task Manager/Performance.

The RAM was in slots 1 and 3.  I tried the new RAM in slot 1 and it worked.  Neither RAM stick worked, alone, in any other slot. 

I am perplexed to say the least.  I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Other details:  The RAM was from 2 different manufacturers, both manufacturered in 2017.  The speeds of both were not the same.  The  original was 2132 Mhz and the new was 2400 Mhz.  I understand from the documentation that this is ok but the system will adjust to the lower speed.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Charlie_Balogh , welcome back to the forum.

What is the full model of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Sorry about that.  It is a 705G1

HP Recommended

@Charlie_Balogh, not a problem.

Is you computer a All-In-One; Small Form Factor; Desktop Mini or Microtower?  This can make a difference.

HP Recommended

SFF

HP Recommended

win 10 pro x64

HP Recommended

Any one have any ideas.......

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Charlie_Balogh!

Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory for your computer.  As you will see, the memory that is recommended is neither of the speeds that you mentioned.  Also, here is the memory from the HP website:

Memory

Feature
Description
Desktop Mini
Small Form Factor
Microtower
Memory
DDR3 non-ECC
  • Up to 1600 MT/s
  • Maximum 16GB
  • 2 SODIMM slots
X

DDR3 non-ECC
  • Up to 1600 MT/s
  • Maximum 32GB
  • 4 DIMM slots

X
X

While Crucial Memory shows a maximum of 32 GB, HP shows a maximum of 16 GB.  HP has their motherboards made to their specs.  I believe that your problem may be caused by having incorrect memory.

HP Recommended

Wow......nice catch.  When I purchased the new memory, I just used CPU-Z to determine the current memory which was DDR4.  I will get DDR3 RAM and see if I am able to upgrade it.  I will let you know

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Charlie_Balogh!

I would appreciate hearing the outcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.