04-19-2017 03:41 PM
I turned off my PC & chose "Upgrade and Turnoff". The next morning, booted up Pc and got the following 3 sentences: 1-Diagnosing your PC 2-Repairing disc error, this might take over an hour to repair. 3-Preparing automatic repair.
I went about my business, and 3 hrs later, looked at screen & those same 3 questions kept revolving over & over. I did an alt, control, delete, but the same sentences kept showing & repeating. Also, tried escape..How do I get my screeen back?
I have not added software or done any driver updates.
04-20-2017 02:27 PM
Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.
I understand that you are unable to boot your PC as you keep getting error messages "1-Diagnosing your PC 2-Repairing disc error, this might take over an hour to repair. 3-Preparing automatic repair."
This could be an issue with the hard drive of the unit.
Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.
First, I suggest that you manually press the power button on the computer and see if you get the windows screen.
If the issue persists, then you need to test for any hardware failures by following the steps in the link: Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8)
If the hard drive test passes, then you need to refresh your computer by following the steps mentioned in the link: Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 8)
Let me know how this works.
You have a good day ahead.
04-20-2017 11:52 PM
Thanks for your help, but I think this solution is over my head. I will have to contact a pc repair person and show them what you suggested and have them try it. I had tried pressing the off button but windows wouldn't come back, I just kept getting the same messages. Thank you.
04-21-2017 02:30 PM
Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.
I understand that the steps in the document were difficult to follow.
Please follow the simpler steps listed below:
Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu.
- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
- The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
- In the main menu, click component test.
- Then click on hard drive test.
- Select the Quick Test to perform a quick check of the hardware.
- Select the Extensive Test to perform a full check of the hardware. This test might take 2 or more hours to complete.
- While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for the component is shown on the screen.
- If component passed, exit from that screen.
If a component fails a test, write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.
Let me know if this works.
You have a good day ahead.